Question Regarding Getting Into Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDFisher

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently about to start my sophomore year at Florida community college at jacksonville, and I've always wanted to be a pharmacist. I hear that its getting harder to get into a lot of pharmacy schools and a lot of people are saying that you need to get a bachelors degree to have a real chance in getting in. I would like to go to the University of Florida, living near by and all. I was just wondering if this was true because so far I have a 4.0 gpa and have taken most of the required classes for their requirements. (i.e. Chemistry 1 & 2, Anatomy Physiology 1 & 2, Biology, Calculus) I got most of my a.a. required courses that were electives done in high school(i.e. humanities english. ext) and in the next two semesters I'm going to be finishing their requirements of organic chemistry and physics. So really I just want to know on a competitive bases do I have a chance to get in with out a bachelors degree?

2nd Question: I was wondering if I could feasibly get in, am I aloud to do a joint degree program for a M.P.H. with out a bachelors?

any feedback would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

The preference by schools to take degree holding degrees is really a by-product of a rapidly increasing applicant pool. Looking at data provided by PharmCAS and AACP confirms that as the number of applicants per school has doubled, if not more, in many places. With a larger pool, more people will have degrees and those 2-year applicants who get rejected will go on to take more classes leading to a degree that complements the previous degree holders. It's a cycle.

Still, pharmacy school admissions has not reached the same point as medical school admissions where almost everybody must have a degree to be accepted. Therefore, the strategy for pharmacy students today is still to apply after the second year and go from there.

Ok, that answers the first part but does anyone know if you have to have a bachelors to pursue a joint degree program, pharmd/mph? It would be at the university of Florida, I hope

I would look at the UF website or contact them directly. Most people probably aren't going to know the answer to that question. But since MPH is a masters program, I would expect you would have to have a bachelors.