Feb 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I recently received an osteopathic recommendation letter from a physician I shadowed over the summer. However, given that I shadowed him for less than a month, I feel the letter if going to be rather short and generic. How would this effect the review process, given that he said nothing negatively in the letter?

magnoliadoc

2+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I wouldn't worry too much about this. Last year I was freaking out about my DO letter, he sent it to me before hand and it was literally 3 sentences with nothing spectacular. However I was fortunate to have some strong letters elsewhere. I think most committees understand that physicians are incredibly busy and it's hard for students to develop relationships with them.

To ease your concern of the 12 schools I applied to, I received 6 II with more then 1 acceptance. As long as the rest of you application is solid, this isn't going to hold you back.

Reactions: Phillymonkey

bears1992

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I think your case is very common. Most people don't have a close relationship with their letter writers. I shadowed my DO for 30 hours and he wrote me a letter which I imagine was pretty generic. I think one of the adcoms posted on here that 90% of letters are generic and boring.

Reactions: Phillymonkey
About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I recently received an osteopathic recommendation letter from a physician I shadowed over the summer. However, given that I shadowed him for less than a month, I feel the letter if going to be rather short and generic. How would this effect the review process, given that he said nothing negatively in the letter?
Most of them are like that! So chill.

About the Ads