Question regarding Pass/Fail Decision

bw01

Jun 16, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I'm taking 4 classes this summer ( the program for school I'm in started freshman year in the spring, and we make up classes in the summer). 3 of my classes I'm doing very well in, all A's, however my pre-calculus class is really challenging. The professor, online format, balancing my other classes, and super accelerated ( only six weeks long compared to the usual semester length) have made it really challenging. I'm trying my hardest, but I'm afraid I might end up with a B or B+. I was hoping for a curve, but I'm aware than many of the other students are cheating, so I'm not too hopeful.

I took pre-calculus essentially to warm-up before taking calculus in the fall, as I haven't taken a challenging math class since junior year of high school, and even if I could test into Calc, I didn't think it would be the best idea without going through the fundamentals again ( clearly I was right lol, I feel way more prepared now than if I had gone in without this class).

What I'm wondering is if I pass-fail this course, even if its not a pre-req, will it look bad on my transcript? ( I plan on taking Calculus and Statistics to complete my math requirements).

rdyotz

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Virginia
  1. Medical Student
Hey guys,

I'm taking 4 classes this summer ( the program for school I'm in started freshman year in the spring, and we make up classes in the summer). 3 of my classes I'm doing very well in, all A's, however my pre-calculus class is really challenging. The professor, online format, balancing my other classes, and super accelerated ( only six weeks long compared to the usual semester length) have made it really challenging. I'm trying my hardest, but I'm afraid I might end up with a B or B+. I was hoping for a curve, but I'm aware than many of the other students are cheating, so I'm not too hopeful.

I took pre-calculus essentially to warm-up before taking calculus in the fall, as I haven't taken a challenging math class since junior year of high school, and even if I could test into Calc, I didn't think it would be the best idea without going through the fundamentals again ( clearly I was right lol, I feel way more prepared now than if I had gone in without this class).

What I'm wondering is if I pass-fail this course, even if its not a pre-req, will it look bad on my transcript? ( I plan on taking Calculus and Statistics to complete my math requirements).

Multiple similar posts regarding a single P/F. Most people assume you had the lowest possible grade, thus choosing to pass instead. It does not look good and a B+ looks much better (as does a B). It won't sink your application though.

Reactions: 1 users

bw01

Jun 16, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Multiple similar posts regarding a single P/F. Most people assume you had the lowest possible grade, thus choosing to pass instead. It does not look good and a B+ looks much better (as does a B). It won't sink your application though.

Yes, sorry for posting another pass/fail question. It's just that most of the posts I viewed were for prereqs, for non-prereqs there were a lot of conflicting opinions. So I hoped for some opinions on my particular situation, just so I can make the best decision possible. Thank you for your input

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.