Question regarding Racemic mixtures and single-entity preparations in pharmaceuticals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeGuy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example, Celexa is made up of a racemic mixture, where one is active, and the other is not. Now that the patents on citalopram have expired, the drug company has come out with Celestaderm, which is just the active isomer (I forget if its the R or S).

So, if one was taking 20mg of Celexa, they'd end up taking 10mg of the Celestaderm, under the idea that less is better.

However, if, say, the ingredients are eliminated at, say, a rate of 1mg/hr (not sure how linear it is), wouldn't this mean that the Celexa would last 20 hours in the body, while the Celestaderm would last only 10 hours?

Isn't this a good case to NOT use the single-entity versions? Wouldn't it be best if one were to give 10mg of the active ingredient and as much as possible of the non-active isomer, so that the elimination rate (of the active) would be minimized?

I guess I'm assuming that elimination is occurring via saturatable receptors/channels/____(and both entities being eliminated through the same MOA), but for the drugs that are, isn't this prudent thinking? Shouldn't we be maximizing our use of inactives in specific situations? Or is it that there are very few medications that are eliminated through saturatable receptors/channels/______?

Members don't see this ad.

Someguy - so I can be clear....can you explain what Celestaderm is? I thought it was a topical steroid preparation available in Canada.

Are you referring to a preparation like Lexapro which is available here in the US??? It is the s-enantiomer of racemic citalopram?

Sorry...I just want to know what we're talking about because the actual question can vary with respect to which drug you are referring to.

Thanks!

Molecular modifications of drugs are done for a variety of reasons....

Chain isomers - in which a side chain is altered (pentobarbital & amobarbital) differ only in a side chain, but pentobarbital has a much shorter duration of activity.

Stero isomers (drugs similar to acetacholine) - are isomeric esters in which the functional groups are reversed. They usually have the same pharmacologic activity.

Optical isomers have very different pharmacologic activity & enantiomers are one group of these.

Generally, what you are referring to is the structure-activity relationship between a drug & its receptor. This is what drug design investigates. Sometimes...alteration of a molecule can lead to a more favorable ratio of therapeutic to toxic effect, enhanced selectivity within the desired tissue, altered pharmacokinetics, or....sometimes...no change in activity at all.

In the case of escitalopram & citalopram....the actual change resulted in a drug which is more potent with respect to inhibition of 5-HT reuptake & inhibition of 5-HT neuronal firing rate. This is why you don't dose on a mg/mg basis between the two.

It also appeared to have fewer side effects which caused patients to want to discontinue treatment (note...I said fewer - a very subjective word!)

However...the motivation...well....it may have been market-share motivation & not just an attempt to find a better mousetrap. After all...we have seen this all too recently with Prilosec-Nexium & Claritin-Clarinex...

As for kinetics...changing the molecule will change the kinetics. However, in the case of Lexapro/Celexa...we don't worry so much about the kinetics of the drug - the rate of recovery of neurotransmitters has as much to do with how a drug like this is dosed as the rate of elimination from the bloodstream. That does not hold true for all drugs however.

Does this help?

btw.....for those of you who don't think organic is important...this is why you need to really learn organic...it leads organice pharmaceutical chemistry which leads you to understand structure activity relationships which leads you to understand drug design!

Members don't see this ad :)
Drug elimination is linear but in a natural log sense. So it's not eliminated 1mg/hr but rather follow the half life rule. So the both enantiomers will be eliminated at the same rate but because of potency of one is greater than the other, the efficacy won't be sacrificed.

Then again, how can you bring up this topic without a mention of Albuterol vs Xopenex.

ZpackSux said:
Drug elimination is linear but in a natural log sense. So it's not eliminated 1mg/hr but rather follow the half life rule. So the both enantiomers will be eliminated at the same rate but because of potency of one is greater than the other, the efficacy won't be sacrificed.

Then again, how can you bring up this topic without a mention of Albuterol vs Xopenex.

Oh Zpack...you are plagued by these new me too drugs :mad: - sorry! I should have thought of this particular one of yours :( .

I agree - we could go on and on with elimination....however, it is not always linear. :( If the mechanisms for elimination become saturated, the kinetics approach zero order. This can happen when one enantiomer has a greater affinity for binding sites than the other. Both will ultimately follow the same mechanism of elimination, but perhaps reach the saturation level at different times. Under these circumstances, the clearance will vary with the concentration of drug:
CL = vm/(km + C)
where Km is the conc at which the half the maximal rate of elimination is reached (in units of mass/time) & vm is equal to the maximal rate of elimination (in units of mass/time). Then clearance is in units of volume/time. Designing zero order kinetcs drugs is a difficult thing to accomplish.

The albuterol enantiomers do have different kinetics:
R: Vd = 2L/kg.....Cl = 10.3ml/min/kg.....Inhaled bioavail = 25%
S: Vd = 1.8L/kg...Cl = 6.7ml/min/kg......Inhaled bioavail = 47%

Altho I do believe the motivation really was to develop a better mousetrap with Xopenex by trying to inccrease its bioavailability & decreasing troublesome side effects, clinically, it ended up not becoming a better alternative - just a more expensive one....just my opinion.

However much I'd love to get into a kinetics discussion....I think we've lost the OP who may really have wanted to know about dermal steroids :laugh:

Did you ever get Xopenex off your formulary??? Don't they have to make a special request to even get it on or is everything put on & you have to make an effort to get it off?

sdn1977 said:
Oh Zpack...you are plagued by these new me too drugs :mad: - sorry! I should have thought of this particular one of yours :( .

I agree - we could go on and on with elimination....however, it is not always linear. :( If the mechanisms for elimination become saturated, the kinetics approach zero order. This can happen when one enantiomer has a greater affinity for binding sites than the other. Both will ultimately follow the same mechanism of elimination, but perhaps reach the saturation level at different times. Under these circumstances, the clearance will vary with the concentration of drug:
CL = vm/(km + C)
where Km is the conc at which the half the maximal rate of elimination is reached (in units of mass/time) & vm is equal to the maximal rate of elimination (in units of mass/time). Then clearance is in units of volume/time. Designing zero order kinetcs drugs is a difficult thing to accomplish.

The albuterol enantiomers do have different kinetics:
R: Vd = 2L/kg.....Cl = 10.3ml/min/kg.....Inhaled bioavail = 25%
S: Vd = 1.8L/kg...Cl = 6.7ml/min/kg......Inhaled bioavail = 47%

Altho I do believe the motivation really was to develop a better mousetrap with Xopenex by trying to inccrease its bioavailability & decreasing troublesome side effects, clinically, it ended up not becoming a better alternative - just a more expensive one....just my opinion.

However much I'd love to get into a kinetics discussion....I think we've lost the OP who may really have wanted to know about dermal steroids :laugh:

Did you ever get Xopenex off your formulary??? Don't they have to make a special request to even get it on or is everything put on & you have to make an effort to get it off?

uh-oh, I met my match.

Ok.. enzyme saturation elimination of course doesn't follow a linear rule but rather non-linear Michelis-Menten elimination. The prime example of a drug which follows this rue... Phenytoin.

Good thing, the population data can provide us with the Km(MM equilibrium constant) which allows us to make MM calculation and guesstimate Dilantin clearance. But who really uses this?

I took Xopenex off the formuary at my previous hospital. I will get to work on it here at the new job soon. I didn't realize the difference of Vd of albuterols but..

Ke = ln(cmax-cmin)/t2-t1

So the amount cleared will be differet but won't both albuterols follow a same elimination rate and share same t1/2?

ZpackSux said:
uh-oh, I met my match.

Ok.. enzyme saturation elimination of course doesn't follow a linear rule but rather non-linear Michelis-Menten elimination. The prime example of a drug which follows this rue... Phenytoin.

Good thing, the population data can provide us with the Km(MM equilibrium constant) which allows us to make MM calculation and guesstimate Dilantin clearance. But who really uses this?

I took Xopenex off the formuary at my previous hospital. I will get to work on it here at the new job soon. I didn't realize the difference of Vd of albuterols but..

Ke = ln(cmax-cmin)/t2-t1

So the amount cleared will be differet but won't both albuterols follow a same elimination rate and share same t1/2?

Zpack - I gotta be quick cause I have to go to work - bosses get pissy if you're late ;) !

Anyway...yeah - the kinetics of metabolism are MM which describes the non-linear metabolism of enzyme metabolism. I was referring to elimination, which is not just metabolism, depending on the drug (can be pulmonary, renal, RBC, etc). The metabolism of albuterol is second order - the first phase being metabolism, which is MM-like.

But..since you bring up enzymes....Xopenex, supposedly, has a 5-10 fold greater amt & rate of conjugation in the liver than albuterol, which suggests a greater affinity for the metabolising enzymes. So....no...they may not share the same rate if the affinity for the metabolizing enzymes are different. Once all enzymes are saturated, however, then they all look alike. The work is still early on identifying the enzymes involved in metabolism & the exact mechanism is not clear.

However, more importantly, IMO, is the affinity for bronchial cells & the cells (within the parenchcyma of the lung & the blood) involved in inflammation. There is some work being done which suggests the r isomer has greater affinity for these cells which are involved in mediating inflammatory responses than albuterol. This work is still early, but I think that is where you need to find your documentation when evaluating pros & cons of its formulary place....particularly if you have a significant neonate population since this population has their mother's immunologic cells & may not be able to manufacture their own.

I gotta run......later!

My bad, not celestaderm, but cipralex, which by my quick googling shows to be the same as lexapro in the US.

/me will repeat his question after taking pharmacokinetics.

I just finished my first year so I still don't know very much, so this may sound like dumb question but.......why would you want to take Xopenex off your formulary? I thougt it comes in a racemic form with an inactive form as oppossed to albuterol where both forms of the albuterol racemic mixture are active. Also, aren't they finding out that long term use of albuterol causes build up active ingredient and cause more side effects and increased hospital returns. Additionally, Xoponex now has an inhaler now that doesnt need a spacer. With all this and the new research coming out I would think that keeping Xoponex on the formulary would be good except I think the price is kind of expensive. On the plus side to that, there has been some research done that has showed the cost effectiveness of Xoponex as oppossed to albuterol because of the increased hospital returns and increased medical costs that are associated with albuterol.

Anyways I just wanted to know...and please correct me if there are some things that arent right cuz I am still learning.

DrgsRmyLife said:
I just finished my first year so I still don't know very much, so this may sound like dumb question but.......why would you want to take Xopenex off your formulary? I thougt it comes in a racemic form with an inactive form as oppossed to albuterol where both forms of the albuterol racemic mixture are active. Also, aren't they finding out that long term use of albuterol causes build up active ingredient and cause more side effects and increased hospital returns. Additionally, Xoponex now has an inhaler now that doesnt need a spacer. With all this and the new research coming out I would think that keeping Xoponex on the formulary would be good except I think the price is kind of expensive. On the plus side to that, there has been some research done that has showed the cost effectiveness of Xoponex as oppossed to albuterol because of the increased hospital returns and increased medical costs that are associated with albuterol.

Anyways I just wanted to know...and please correct me if there are some things that arent right cuz I am still learning.

Before I go into it in depth, do me a favor and read the product insert for xopenex and pay special interest to the Adverse Drug Reaction tables comparing Xopenex vs Racemic Mixture Albuterol.

The racemic mixture contains 2 isomers.. one is physiologically inert and the other is active. I want you to find out the difference between the active isomer of albuterol vs Xopenex.

Then let's talk.

sdn1977 said:
Zpack - I gotta be quick cause I have to go to work - bosses get pissy if you're late ;) !

Anyway...yeah - the kinetics of metabolism are MM which describes the non-linear metabolism of enzyme metabolism. I was referring to elimination, which is not just metabolism, depending on the drug (can be pulmonary, renal, RBC, etc). The metabolism of albuterol is second order - the first phase being metabolism, which is MM-like.

But..since you bring up enzymes....Xopenex, supposedly, has a 5-10 fold greater amt & rate of conjugation in the liver than albuterol, which suggests a greater affinity for the metabolising enzymes. So....no...they may not share the same rate if the affinity for the metabolizing enzymes are different. Once all enzymes are saturated, however, then they all look alike. The work is still early on identifying the enzymes involved in metabolism & the exact mechanism is not clear.

However, more importantly, IMO, is the affinity for bronchial cells & the cells (within the parenchcyma of the lung & the blood) involved in inflammation. There is some work being done which suggests the r isomer has greater affinity for these cells which are involved in mediating inflammatory responses than albuterol. This work is still early, but I think that is where you need to find your documentation when evaluating pros & cons of its formulary place....particularly if you have a significant neonate population since this population has their mother's immunologic cells & may not be able to manufacture their own.

I gotta run......later!

Ok pharmacy geek, I'm going to dig up my 20 page Albuterol vs xopenex article I wrote... it's saved on my hard drive at work.

bananaface said:
The S-isomer is active - just not as a B2-agonist.

Aight..that's a fair statement since it's binds to muscarinic receptor in vitro and in animals. But clinically, it's inert. Despite some of the Sepracor sponsored studies.

Albuterol and levalbuterol share many of the same characteristics and actions. There has been discrepancy in the literature surrounding levalbuterol’s superiority to albuterol. Many claims have been made which indicate that S-albuterol, the inactive enantiomer in albuterol may not be inactive, but have some detrimental properties. Some of these are that S-albuterol works in opposition to R-albuterol, that S-albuterol leads to the tolerance effect seen with the bronchodilator, that it increases airway hyperresponsiveness, and that it causes the systemic effects of racemic albuterol.6

To date, there has been no study demonstrating a significant difference between levalbuterol and albuterol. Because of the lack of data to support superiority of levalbuterol it is difficult to justify the additional expense of levalbuterol.

Cockcroft et al7 found that tolerance developed after six days to groups treated with R-albuterol or racemic albuterol. However patients did not develop tolerance after being treated with S-albuterol or to placebo treatment. Doing this, they proved that S-albuterol was not responsible for the development of tolerance.

Randomized trials have not demonstrated that S-albuterol causes hyperresponsiveness in the lung tissue of asthmatic patients.

Three studies show that the systemic effects of racemic albuterol are due to the R- enantiomer, and not the S-enantiomer.

Two studies8,9 both sponsored by Sepracor, the manufacturer of Xopenex®, claim that levalbuterol led to fewer hospitalizations and decreased cost to the hospital. However, the Carl study did not predefine hospital admission criteria and the two groups of patients that were admitted had no difference in clinical presentation at admission, end of ED stay, and duration of hospitalization.

Clinical Trials
Trial Regimens Methods Results Comments
Carl, et al Levalbuterol Nebs 1.25mg q20min or albuterol 2.5mg q20min in the ER 547 enrollments from 478 children (85% black, 67% male) with acute asthmaExcluded: first episode, no current treatment, pregnant, hypersensitive to alb, CF, cyanosis, uncorrected congenital heart disease, chronic obstructive lung diseaseLev n=278Alb n=269Pts <6 y/o face mask nebPts >=6y/o mouthpiece nebReceive nebs q20 min until met discharge criteria or max of 6 tx in 2 hrs (admit the pt at that point)Given oral prednisone after 1st treatment if not meet DC criteriaSupplemental O2 given prnOption for intensification of therapy if requiredPrimary outcome measure: hospital admission rate 547 episodes in 477 patients. PEP 36% admin rate for levalbuterol vs. 45% for albuterol. There was no difference other endpoints. Outcome Alb Leva P Value
Hosp Admin 45 36 0.02
LOS Hrs 2.2 2.3 0.25
Tx/patient 4.1 3.7 0.08
Resp Rate 35.6 37.0 0.26
NNT for primary endpoint: 10.6Pts who used >=2 aerosols in previous 2 hours had 40% higher hospital admission rate (RR=1.39, 95% CI=1.13-1.72, p=0.02)Pts who used >3 aerosols in previous 2 hours had more admissions (RR=1.34, 95% CI=1.09-1.51, p=0.004) More patients in the levalbuterol group were treated with cromolyn & inhaled Sterioid.The Admission criteria was not well defined and based on the ER MD who was not part of the study. Because data on pulmonary function was noted therefore reasons for the difference in admission rate is unclear.
Debapriya et al Levalb 1.25mg Alb 2.5mg Alb 2.5mg + Ipr 0.5mg or placebo. Randomized DB, Placebo CCT, comparing albuterol, levalbuterol, ipratropium and placebo in patients with COPD. N=30PEP : FEV1 FVC, pulse, O2 sat. Positive Bronchodilator Response
Time (hr) 0.5 1
Alb 43% 47%
Alb/Ipr 43% 53%
Levalb 40% 40%
Placebo 13% 13%
None of the bronchodilators increase FEV1 past 4 hrs. None of the other PEP show significant differences. The duration of action of albuterol and levalbuterol was shorter than described in other studies.
Truitt T, et al.9Retrospective chart reviewSupported by Sepracor Albuterol 2.5 mg q 4h (Alb) vsLevalbuterol 1.25 mg q 8h (Lev) 231 charts reviewedTwo six-month periods with these two drugs on formulary Charts were searched for ICD codes for asthma, COPDExcluded: concomitant cognitive disturbances, cancerAlb n=125 (90 pts COPD, 35 pts asthma)Lev n=106 (87 pts COPD, 19 pts asthma)PEP: total number of neb treatments requiredSEP: Primary endpoint reached30.8 treatments alb vs 19.0 treatments lev p<0.001 Additional outcome measures: changes in PFTs, duration of hospitalization, disposition following hospitalization, pharmacy utilization costs, resource utilization costsBy design (treatment protocol) the pts treated with alb automatically had twice as many nebs scheduled than the pts on levUsed inflated basis of AWP to calculate cost of drug

Adverse Effects (Safety Data)

Despite the fact that these two agents are selective for the ß2 receptor, they still cause tachycardia to some degree. None of the ß2 agonists are completely selective, and furthermore, with increasing doses of any agent, the selectivity for the ß2 receptor decreases.1

Adults
levalbuterol1.25 mg racemic albuterol2.5 mg
Tachycardia 2.7 2.7
Dizziness 2.7 0
Nervousness 9.6 8.1
Anxiety 2.7 0
Tremor 6.8 2.7
Dyspepsia 2.7 1.4
Rhinitis 2.7 6.8
Increased cough 4.1 2.7

Children
levalbuterol0.63 mg racemic albuterol1.25 mg
Asthma 9.0 6.3
Headache 11.9 9.4
Myalgia 1.5 1.6
Pharyngitis 10.4 0
Rhinitis 10.4 3.1

Drug Mean Changes from Baseline2
Heart Rate (bpm) Glucose (mg/dL)
Adults
Levalbuterol 1.25 mg 6.9 10.3
Albuterol (racemic) 2.5 mg 5.7 8.2
Significant No no
Children
Levalbuterol 0.63 mg 6.7 5.2
Albuterol (racemic) 1.25 mg 6.4 8.0
Significant No no

Levalbuterol is simply the isolated R-isomer of traditional albuterol, which is a racemic mixture of both R and S-isomers. Although levalbuterol is promoted as having fewer side effects than racemic albuterol, clinical evidence exists that disputes these claims.1 According to the AUC and Cmax provided in the XopenexÒ product labeling, the bronchoprotective effects and plasma concentrations of 1.25 mg of XopenexÒ is closest to a dose of 2.5 mg of racemic albuterol.2 Bioassay methods designed to compare differences in potency of inhaled b-agonists confirm that each microgram of levalbuterol is equivalent to 1.9 mcg of racemic albuterol.1 Therefore, the claims of advantageous outcomes with Xopenex are likely due to evaluations containing unequal dosages between itself and albuterol.
An editorial by pediatric pulmonologists provides a concise summary of studies evaluating the theorized advantages of levalbuterol over racemic albuterol.3 The authors point out weaknesses and flaws in comparative studies as well as alternative clinical trials that provide contradictory evidence. The five theorized advantages of levalbuterol along with the authors’ comments are as follows.

Marketing Hype 1:
S-albuterol works in opposition to bronchodilator properties of R-albuterol. Thus, implying that Xopenex is a cleaner, more potent bronchodilator.

Refuting Evidence
No study provides strong support that the R-enantiomer is more potent when administered alone than in the racemic mixture. The authors point out that these trials could not even confirm a significant dose-response relationship. If these studies cannot detect differences between different doses of the same formulation, then they are certainly not powered to evaluate differences between different formulations.

Marketing Hype 2:
S-albuterol causes development of tolerance to beneficial effects.

Refuting Evidence
One study found that R-albuterol and racemic albuterol cause significant, but equal development of tolerance at day 7 of treatment.4 S-albuterol and placebo did not cause development of tolerance.

Marketing Hype 3:
S-albuterol increases airway hyperresponsiveness.

Refuting Evidence
Three clinical studies showed no difference in responsiveness to challenges of S-albuterol.4-6

Marketing Hype 4:
S-albuterol causes paradoxical bronchospasm that is sometimes seen with racemic albuterol.

Refuting Evidence
No studies presently address this issue. Therefore, this claim is unsubstantiated and speculative at best.

Marketing Hype 5:
S-albuterol causes the systemic side effects seen with inhaled albuterol.

Refuting Evidence
Three different studies demonstrate that the systemic side effects are due to the biologically active R-isomer that is present in both products.1,7,8

Adverse Reactions
Based on the equivalent doses above, the two drugs produce similar side effects when their doses are equated.2
No evidence is given in the product label validating the claim that XopenexÒ produces less hyperactivity in children than racemic albuterol.2 However, this mantra is being used to promote the medication to clinicians. In fact, no adverse events that could be interpreted as hyperactivity are documented in the adverse reactions section for patients 6-11 years old in the Xopenex product label.

Dosing Clarification
There has been some additional confusion surrounding optimal dosing of Xopenex. Every two hours dosing or continuous nebulization dosing should not be done. For pediatric patients, the product labeling specifically states that dosing should not exceed 0.63 mg three times daily2 and a warning letter from the FDA states that promotion of q4hr dosing similar to albuterol is a false or misleading claim.9 This is the second time that the manufacturer of Xopenex has been warned by the FDA about unethical marketing tactics.10
In summary, there is no definitive clinical benefit to the use of Xopenex over traditional albuterol. The only difference is Xopenex’s 10-fold cost increase

SomeGuy said:
For example, Celexa is made up of a racemic mixture, where one is active, and the other is not. Now that the patents on citalopram have expired, the drug company has come out with Celestaderm, which is just the active isomer (I forget if its the R or S).

So, if one was taking 20mg of Celexa, they'd end up taking 10mg of the Celestaderm, under the idea that less is better.

However, if, say, the ingredients are eliminated at, say, a rate of 1mg/hr (not sure how linear it is), wouldn't this mean that the Celexa would last 20 hours in the body, while the Celestaderm would last only 10 hours?

Isn't this a good case to NOT use the single-entity versions? Wouldn't it be best if one were to give 10mg of the active ingredient and as much as possible of the non-active isomer, so that the elimination rate (of the active) would be minimized?

I guess I'm assuming that elimination is occurring via saturatable receptors/channels/____(and both entities being eliminated through the same MOA), but for the drugs that are, isn't this prudent thinking? Shouldn't we be maximizing our use of inactives in specific situations? Or is it that there are very few medications that are eliminated through saturatable receptors/channels/______?

OMG, organ chem nightmare came back to me from reading it....is this pertaining to the P1 or later? im rusty with my ochem. recommendation?

stickandstone - you gotta have a good o chem foundation otherwise you'll just end up memorizing stuff from organic pharmaceutical chem which leads to kinetics, etc, etc, etc.......If you memorize, you won't retain or be able to use the information.

Really, really understanding the chemical & biochemical theory behind drug development & use allows you to critically evalute articles on new drugs or uses for current drugs throughout your career. This makes you less vulnurable to marketing claims, which is Zpack's argument.

My recommendation - don't underestimate the significance of the course material & don't just "get thru" the class - really learn the material. If you're pre-pharm....learn organic well. If you're already in pharmacy school & don't understand - go back until the point where you lost understanding & redo it until you get it.