Question regarding reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Siggy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Quick question about the reapplying.

Stats: COMLEX: 506/440. USMLE: 214/217
Repeated second year.
Good LORs per my last interview. However my first EM rotation was August to September, so late LORs relatively speaking (especially for AOA). Only 1 EM grade in so far from home rotation (pass). First away grade is not in yet and currently doing an ACGME away.

Finally, I am hoping to hold onto my last two months of medical school for possible EM audition rotations for next season.

Currently 2 DO interviews (looks like no more is coming since most finish in November or December). No MD. Applied to over 100 places.

As such, I stand a good chance of not matching, so questions.

1. Should I apply for transitional/prelim/traditional rotating internships, or just scramble into one? I know that there's been virtually zero spots (AOA or ACGME) the last several years, however matching into an intern year completely removes the chance of a scramble.

2. Is there a practical difference between AOA TRI and ACGME prelim/transitional year programs?

3. Does Step III matter for reapplicants?

4. Would it be a waste of money to apply to ACGME programs the second time around, especially given the virtual explosion of applicants this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Quick question about the reapplying.

Stats: COMLEX: 506/440. USMLE: 214/217
Repeated second year.
Good LORs per my last interview. However my first EM rotation was August to September, so late LORs relatively speaking (especially for AOA). Only 1 EM grade in so far from home rotation (pass). First away grade is not in yet and currently doing an ACGME away.

Finally, I am hoping to hold onto my last two months of medical school for possible EM audition rotations for next season.

Currently 2 DO interviews (looks like no more is coming since most finish in November or December). No MD. Applied to over 100 places.

As such, I stand a good chance of not matching, so questions.

1. Should I apply for transitional/prelim/traditional rotating internships, or just scramble into one? I know that there's been virtually zero spots (AOA or ACGME) the last several years, however matching into an intern year completely removes the chance of a scramble.

2. Is there a practical difference between AOA TRI and ACGME prelim/transitional year programs?

3. Does Step III matter for reapplicants?

4. Would it be a waste of money to apply to ACGME programs the second time around, especially given the virtual explosion of applicants this year?

If it were me I would apply to some TY that are osteopathic with associated EM residencies.

Also the DOs that I have heard of reapplying acgme get very little love(I assume it will be worse next year as well), so I would focus AOA wise. I would also see which programs won't look at a reapplicant. Also repeating second year is a big red flag especially being a DO applying acgme with your scores.

Did you apply to ALL of the osteopathic programs?(minus the ones that you need a mandatory rotation) Also are your lor sloes? Lastly can your advisor read your letters and give you feedback?