Question regarding Residency/Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socrates89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this so I really don't know much about how to apply for a residency or fellowship program since I'm not in my 3 or 4th year but wish to get a head start on knowing the process and such. Just have a few questions

1. Can I for example apply to all Neurogurgey Residency programs (lets say if I meet the criteria) I think there are 96 and then also apply to all or a lot of the General Surgery programs and or ENT programs as back up if I don't get into a neurosurgery residency program.

2. What happens if lets say if I apply to the the Neurosurgery and General Surgery programs at the same hospital, will that be looked down upon during interviews or are the neurosurgery and general surgery departments different so they won't know.

3. Also lets say that If I get accepted to a neurosurgery program A but it is placed low on my list like #20 and I get rejected from the schools at the top of the list will I not match into that program since I ranked it low and others ranked it higher than me and were accepted to it??

4. Is there a neurosurgery residency, or are you placed into another residency that neurosurgery comes under. What is that residency??

I'm confused about this topic regarding matching can someone give an answer and post a link to a site which easily explains the matching process.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

OK, lots of questions. I'll try to help on a few.

You can apply to as many programs as you want, in whatever fields you want.

Neurosurgery is a residency.

Take a look at the FAQ here, or the FAQ/stickies in the ERAS/Match forum. You can also go to the NRMP website (www.nrmp.org) for more info on the whole Match process. A good book like Iserson's will also help with this.

BTW, did you end up moving to Pakistan to attend med school there?