1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

question regarding RFU AP program

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by worried22, Dec 1, 2005.

1. worried22

worried22 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I am new to the thread and I have a question for anyone who is currently attending the AP program at RFU, has attended it, or knows anything about it. Specifically, I graduated this past May and began applying to medical schools over the summer. I have a good GPA, 3.73, but unfortunately, due to uncontrollable circumstances on the day of the MCAT this past August, I did not do well at all. I received a 10 in bio. science, but only 6 in physical science and verbal reasoning, even though my 3 practice test scores from Kaplan over the summer indicated that I was receiving 11 in vr and 8 in ps. Therefore, I am sure many of you understand the frustration I am now facing. I would very much like to go to CMS, but due to my MCAT score, I realize that won't be possible for fall of '06. Therefore, I would very much like to do the AP program at RFU next fall. However, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think my chances might be given both my GPA and MCAT score. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks so much.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. markboonya

markboonya Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

u can retake mcats this april. although your application will be a little late, the scores will still arrive on time to be considered for the fall 2006 class. i dont think the 22 will fly at any of the smp programs.

4. madonna

madonna Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think you should save yourself some $$$, retake the mcat and apply for 07.

5. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Yea retake the mcat, u have a good gpa :thumbup:

6. ucsb101

ucsb101 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A 22 MIGHT be ok....but I dont know if I would take any chances. I knew one girl here with a 19!!!! but she was older....if u apply early as in the first day...i would be more surprised if you DIDNT get in. But then again I would try taking the MCATs again if you are confident that you will do well. Or even try talking to the school....and tell em that you are going to turn in ur application early but will be taking the MCAT in APRIL...they might consider that...good luck!

7. worried22

worried22 Junior Member

Pre-Medical

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone! Yeah, actually, I called the school and I was advised to take the GRE, because I know that RF accepts that as well, and unlike, the MCAT, it will be alot easier to retake the GRE if I don't like my initial score. Because I already applied to CMS, I know that they will transfer my application materials, including my MCAT score to the AP program. However, because I had VERY unfortunate circumstances at my testing facility on test day, and they are documented by MCAT, I was advised to just submit a copy of the letter that MCAT sent me and to inform them that they will also be receiving my GRE score. I am just hoping to do well on the GRE, because I really want to get into the AP program. Also, thanks for suggesting to apply early; I am DEFINITELY planning on having one of the first applications in! Thanks everyone and good luck! :)

8. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Do you know what the average mcat probably is? From what i hear is between 25 to 27?

9. worried22

worried22 Junior Member

Pre-Medical

Well, when I spoke with the woman in admissions yesterday, she told me that the avg. MCAT was 27 and the avg. GPA was 3.3-3.4. However, she also said that in the past, the committee recommended that the cut off should be at least a 3.0 GPA and 25 MCAT. So yeah, I am guessing that about 25-27 for the MCAT sounds right.

Does anyone know what the avg. GRE score is?

10. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I went through this program and I can tell you that NO ONE I know in the program had an MCAT below 26. This is about half the class which I was good friends with. All that being said a 22 probably wont cut it. When I took the MCAT the first time they documented some stuff too but no one cared. Thankfully I retook it and the one section which was really disturbed went up 4 points. Hope this helps. The AVG Gpa sounds high but I will say this that most of the people in the AP had EITHER a low GPA or a LOW MCAT few if any had low marks in both.

If you have any other questions as always feel free to PM me.

11. EctopicFetus

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh.. i dont know the 1st thing about people taking the GRE. Never heard of it but if someone at school tells you its ok, then it is ok.

12. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know someone in the AP program right now with a 24 MCAT. Who knows what the deal is. From my understanding, the program is for an applicant who is missing a part of thier application, whether it may be MCAT or GPA.

13. worried22

worried22 Junior Member

Pre-Medical

Thanks everyone for posting! I really appreciate all of the input. The reason I was inquiring about my stats to begin with, is because I have heard a variety responses about accepted MCAT scores for the AP program. And while I realize that the 26-27 MCAT score may be the AVG. accepted score, I just happened to be curious because unlike a lot of people who are in the opposite situation, and may have a lower GPA, but higher MCAT score, I know that my GPA is pretty decent. That is why I wasn't sure if there were any other people in my particular situation, who had high GPAs but low MCAT scores, and were accepted into the AP program. But anyways, once again, thanks everyone for all of the input and good luck!! :)

14. theunderdog

theunderdog Medical Student (Slave)
    7+ Year Member

you gotta retake the mcat buddy. a handful of postbac programs have mcat requirements... example: georgetown requires at least a 27.

15. worried22

worried22 Junior Member

Pre-Medical

Thanks, but I am particularly interested in RFU's AP program..I realize that I would need to retake the MCAT for sure if I was considering other possibilities.

16. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

?

my cousin is in the RFU program right now. he told me that the range of mcat scores went from 22 - 35. but the people getting the 22s were the URMs.

i want to be optimistic, but you still need to retake the MCAT. trust me on this one. for 2 reasons.

1. RFU has NO GUARANTEE that if you do the program with a 3.0, you will get into the school. my cousin affirms this. the website even says that there is no guarantee. my cousin did say that it is sort of like an unspoken and undocumented guarantee, but his classmate with a 3.1 from the RFU program and a 26 MCAT did NOT get into the medical school.

2. Even if there was a guarantee of 100%, the RFU program is one of the most popular programs out there. just look at this forum and you'll see at least 5 RFU AP threads on the same page. georgetown has the most prestigious SMP (and most difficult) MS program, but RFU is the most popular in terms of applications. it is very tough to get into. you have to get into the program first before saying anything. your GPA is awesome, but your MCAT will be on the lower end of the applicant pool for the AP program. MCAT is weighed heavier. trust me. (reason is because every school has a diff GPA system, but MCAT is standardized across the country)

i dont want you to lose hope or anything. i just want you to be realistic so that if some bad stuff happens, at least you can't say you didn't know about it.....

17. EctopicFetus

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    22 seems to be on the very low end, that being said I would retake it if possible. Even with a very high GPA I would worry if I were you, but I am a 4th yr Med student now so i dont know too much.

18. madonna

madonna Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

19. aks47

aks47 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What's a URM?

20. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

sorry... i know its depressing... but its better to know now than to get through the AP program via busting your ass and THEN get rejected from the med school....

i have no clue. all i know is that my cousin called me because he was scared... seeing that his RFU AP classmate didnt even get into RFU... so my cousin was freaking out that maybe he wouldn't get in either. my cousin has a 3.4 in the program, but has a 27 mcat...

21. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

luckily, you asked me and not your med school interviewer. bc URM is a crucial part of medicine these days....

URM = under represented minority

22. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That doesn't make any sense underdog. The point of the RFU AP program is to show the admissions committee that you can do the work even though you have a weak aspect of your application. Did he do something else to piss off the faculty? It just doesn't make sense when you hear kids going with lower than 26 MCATs and getting into CMS after doing well in the program.

23. theunderdog

7+ Year Member

i have no clue at all. i was just responding to the OP who was so sure of the guarantee. i agree with you in what you're saying and if you sat in on the adcom, i would admit everyone who completes the AP program at RFU.

i don't know why my cousin's friend did not get in. he did get an interview however. he may have messed it up, but i doubt it. he is the nicest guy anyone will ever meet.

24. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got ya. I am not questioning you on your sources. Maybe he didn't have a 3.1? I was told that everyone gets an interview and then you need to get the 3.0. It just doesn't sit right. The program exists to help kids with a low MCAT and/or GPA, usually one or the other. Therefore, it does not make much sense to reject a kid with an already preconceived notion that a 3.0=CMS acceptance. I do understand that it is not guarranteed, but nonetheless I was told it was from someone intwined with the program.

25. EctopicFetus

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is no guarantee but I am gonna call bs on his/her GPA. People in my class barely got the 3.0 with crappy MCATs and got in. The ONLY exception mentioned to us was a C in the med school physio class (which is 14 credits). I dont know of a single person who got a C in that class and had a 3.0 because that is a ton of credits to be in the hole. I think that there might have been a miscommunication or that person didnt want to tell your cousin he couldnt hack the 3.0. I know at least 10-15 people in each AP class after mine and all I have heard is that everyone got in who had the 3.0 (or 2.96 to be more precise).

Sorry but every yr people come on here spreading rumors either hoping to get fewer people to apply or something but I would really hesitate to believe this. Call or email the school and ask out of the people last yr with the 3.0 did any of them not recieve an offer of admission. There are just way too many rumors on this thing including BS like they are gonna change all these things. It is bs man. If they change the class then they will be up front about it.

26. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yea, I know there is no guarrantee and I also agree with you that these rumors are bs. Like Ectopic said, this crap gets put around the web every year. Man, Ectopic you and I are like best buds now!! :)

27. worried22

worried22 Junior Member

Pre-Medical

Yeah...I just wanted to say that I agree as far as rumors are concerned...I also just wanted to point out that noone seems to be mentioning the fact that the AP program also accepts GRE scores to get in and that it is not only reliant upon the MCAT. That is why I was wondering if anyone knows of the avg. accepted GRE scores. And as far as retaking the MCAT, I was told by someone in the admissions office, who is aware of my circumstance, that if I am accepted and maintain at least above a 3.0, then I wouldn't need to retake the MCAT to get into CMS. However, she definitely pointed out that I would need to retake the MCAT if I wanted to apply to other medical schools. She is also the person who strongly recommended that I take the GRE and submit that score, hoping that I do well on it. And I also just wanted to say that I agree with USArmyDoc's comments and whoever else, I think Ectopic as well, who mentioned that the program is designed for someone with a high MCAT/lower GPA or vice versa..in other words, for people who are lacking in particularly one aspect of their medical school application. The woman in the RF admissions office also confirmed this notion, telling me that the admissions committee definitely takes into account that some people may just not be good test takers. However, she definitely mentioned that there would most likely be greater consideration towards this thought process if the applicant had a strong GPA and in particular, a strong science GPA. I just thought that I would mention this to everyone because these sentiments are coming directly from someone I spoke with in the admissions office. Good luck everyone and keep your hopes up..I am definitely trying to while now beginning to study for the GRE!! :)

28. EctopicFetus

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes we are ArmyDoc, I hope things work out for all you guys on here. Keep in mind that the AP wont even start making decisions until pretty late in the game since they want to make sure that most of the people who already got into MD school doesnt waste their time (and money) applying.

Be very very careful about internet rumors. Many people use this to gain an unfair advantage and in the end are so worried about themselves they dont care if they ruin the lives of others. Other people misinterpret info given to them.

Now I am not saying that the previous poster is maliciously doing any of this but rather just warning people to be careful.

29. worried22

worried22 Junior Member

Pre-Medical

I also just wanted to say thanks too, Ectopic! I really appreciate you saying that about rumors..because I definitely agree! I know that some posts can definitely get your hopes knocked down, so I just wanted to say thank you for mentioning that unfortunately, some people might not have the best of intentions..I am not talking about anyone in particular, but I also think it is mandatory to try and support one another and not spread rumors!

30. HopeFaith

HopeFaith Member
    5+ Year Member

You have a really good gpa, why not just take the MCAT over and reapply to med school. Do you really want to spend 35k?

31. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I am the same way. High GPA (3.77) lower MCAT. The RFU program is for people missing a certain part of their app. Well, ours is the MCAT.

32. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Whats up with your user name? Where you interested in the Army originally?

33. junebuguf

junebuguf Yo ***...Pimp My AMCAS
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If your gpa is that high, I don't think that going through an SMP will provide the most benefit. Even if you do well, many schools will likely not consider your application because of the low MCAT. Conversely, having a low gpa but a good MCAT is better served by SMPs because they allow you to allay concerns about your performance. Also, there is the risk that you will not do well (or maybe as well) as you hoped, raising new concerns about your grades that did not previously exist. If your gpa is that high, getting a 3.4 or thereabouts in med school courses will not really help your application. You will need to perform at or above your undergrad level. However for a low gpa, high MCAT applicant, getting a 3.4 may actually be great. A 3.4 is a great med school gpa, but remember, you are applying for admission into med school, you're not in yet. Med schools want to admit students that have the potential to excel, not just do well (particularly considering they have so many applicants to choose from), so why would they admit borderline applicants (if you're in an SMP, you are automatically a fringe candidate) when they could pick someone with great numbers but with little to no extracurriculars or service experience?

I think there is far more risk for people with very high gpas who choose SMPs. Strategically, you are best served by working on the weakest part of your application (this is true of any applicant). For you, it seems its not your grades, but your MCAT. Only if you are absolutely positive that you cannot get a 29 or above on the MCAT, should you think of SMPs. This is a long post, but I can't believe someone with a gpa that high would consider going through a year of SMP (stress, possible burn-out, risk, expense) when there are other, arguably, better options.

34. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I definitely hear what you are saying but as I have said before, RFU's program is for an applicant to help show that the weak part in their application is not indicative of their potential. Whichever the case, I have an allopathic interview and if works out great. If it doesn't, I am going to Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine. It is an amazing place.

35. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

So you currently have an interview at an allopathic school?

36. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Yes and possibly at least 2 more. I know.....surprising huh?

37. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes quit surprising with a 22 mcat. Good luck :thumbup:

38. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I don't have a 22 :laugh:

39. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

O really. I thought somewhere in the thread you mentioned you had a 22? Must have been someone else. People kept recommending you retake, do you mind sharing what your mcat was?

40. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

The 22 is for the OP. Check your PM.

41. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    By the way, if anyone finds out anything about RFU please post! :)

42. Mperor

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For the people who are splitting hairs over the "3.0 garauntee" and whether or not that means everone with a 3.001 will get in and what not, I have this to say.

come to this program and WORK YOUR ASS OFF, and you won't even have to worry about the cut off. I came here with only one objective, and that was to rock my classes. Meeting people, getting involved and finding research positions is all a distant second. I am NOT a smart person, infact I estimate I made this program by the skin of my teeth. But I am sitting on a 4.0 right now, because I am committed to rocking my classes this year.

In my opinion anyone who is smart enough to get into the AP program is smart enough to pull a 3.0++, and the people who do not are lacking in DRIVE and NOT lacking in intellegence.

43. EctopicFetus

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yep.. Same for this former APer.. Not too bright but man my residency interviews are going great. My top 3 choices all told me they love me..

44. Mperor

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    just wondering, what residency programs are you interviewing for? Good luck!

45. giorgeo

giorgeo One step closer
    10+ Year Member

Dang it!! 4.0 and with 5 exams coming up... sitting comfortably on your perch. I hope you're not the one who got the 100% on the MGBD exam and screwed any hope of even a minutia of a curve although it really wasn't needed for that test ;) . Good job on the 4.0 thus far, I still have to pull a 94% to get my A in Physio with all its 14 units.