Question regarding Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edgerock24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'll try to keep this as short as possible:

I currently work as a counselor at a psychiatric hospital. The work involves direct patient care with individuals suffering from depression, mood disorders, anxiety, and other mental illnesses. I will have worked for 2.5 years at this position before applying to medical schools in the summer of 2015.

Before this job, I worked as a research assistant for an orthopedic study (~6 months), interviewing patients pre and post-op. Also got to go into the OR a few times.

I've also done volunteer tutoring for 2.5 yrs in elementary English and math.

My question: Will I have to do additional volunteering at a hospital/health facility before applying, even though I have had jobs that have involved patient exposure for several years? If so, how much of it would seem appropriate?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your patient care knowledge is fine. You just need to show you know what the life of a doctor is like.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I agree with your statement 100%. I'm going to definitely look to shadow 1-2 DO's before I apply, and hopefully get a LoR from one as well (I've only worked with MD's thus far).