Question to periodontists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleorkwk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard traditional periodontics (I guess they are talking about sinus lift, crown lengthening) is dying, well mainly from OMFS residents, and that periodontists are shifting to dental implants. Does this mean there are not enough patients to perform traditional procedures on, or does it mean periodontists are shifting to dental implants b/c it's just more lucrative? What if majority of GPs start to place implants in near future, then is periodontists truly out of job? I'm curious. Thank you for you reply.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard traditional periodontics (I guess they are talking about sinus lift, crown lengthening) is dying, well mainly from OMFS residents, and that periodontists are shifting to dental implants. Does this mean there are not enough patients to perform traditional procedures on, or does it mean periodontists are shifting to dental implants b/c it's just more lucrative? What if majority of GPs start to place implants in near future, then is periodontists truly out of job? I'm curious. Thank you for you reply.

Lol I see that you have put a lot of thoughts into that question.

Members don't see this ad :)
no one wants to spend a grand on a graft procedure that might give you 0.5mm of reattachment.

Let me guess Anhedonia. OMFS?

I shadowed a Periodontist a while back who on average does 10-12 CT grafts a week at 800-1100 a pop. Someone is interested.

It is true though, to the OP, that traditional osseous surgery/OFD is becoming a thing of the past. There is still a fair amount of grafting, aesthetic/functional crown lengthening, GBR/GTR, etc going on in addition to impants. Like most fields in dentistry it comes down to where you are working, what type of clientele you have, what you like to do, how you market yourself etc.

Take every comment about the death of any specialty with a grain of salt. There is obviously a shift occurring with many GP's, prostho's and even endodontists placing implants, but to say that there will be insufficient patients for any particular procedure is a bit of a reach.

Take every comment about the death of any specialty with a grain of salt. There is obviously a shift occurring with many GP's, prostho's and even endodontists placing implants, but to say that there will be insufficient patients for any particular procedure is a bit of a reach.
@JMJRDH1: i assume you are a perio resident at nj. i have applied this year and i am dying to get in nj...how competitive is it...i mean do u know how many have applied and who the current favorites are n stuff like that...would be glad to know even a little from you..how do u find the program ..is it very intensive or not so mch?

@JMJRDH1: i assume you are a perio resident at nj. i have applied this year and i am dying to get in nj...how competitive is it...i mean do u know how many have applied and who the current favorites are n stuff like that...would be glad to know even a little from you..how do u find the program ..is it very intensive or not so mch?

or if you are not a resident ..how is the perio program at nj?