Question:When can I apply for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eatingcom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the MCAT on may 31. But I have no idea on how the application process works...So I was wondering if you guys could help me out.
When can I apply for med school? do I have to wait for the score to come out before I submit ?? or do I just submit it early and the schools will evaluate me when the scores come?
Then when will be the time that I need to send my secondaries? because I haven't gotten my letters of rec yet, and I want to make sure I could give the professors enough time...Also I don't written my personal statement yet, and want to make sure I have a decent one before I apply.

Thank you~

Members don't see this ad.

The earliest you could have begun filling out your application for this year's application cycle (class of 2012) was 5 days ago. You can first submit that application the first of June at...

http://www.aamc.org/audienceamcas.htm

• You should submit your primary application (the one at the AAMC) no later than the end of July.
  • You should complete all secondary applications given to you by individual medical schools by the end of August.
  • You should complete all paperwork for letters of recommendation to your college's pre-med office BEFORE the deadline they set, which will vary, so that your pre-med committee letter and letters of recommendation arrive to the medical schools before or at the same time as your secondary application. You should ask your letter writters to write letters NOW!

Ignore the deadlines that schools give for turning in applications, such as in late November or December. If you submit your application near those times, you are extremely LATE! Submit your primary by July, and your secondaries by August.

Be sure to budget anywhere from $1500-$3000 for the entire application cycle. Yes, it can really cost this much unless you luck out and get accepted early and forgo interviewing out of state.