Question when taking the Actual USMLE I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
when i am doing practice questions on q-bank, i am given the option to skip a question, and then later return to it.

can u skip questions on the actual USMLE I exam, and then later return to it?

i would imagine the answer is no, (since ur answer determines what the next question will be) but please clarify.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the exam adaptive now? Hmmm... I never got wind of that... u sure?

But you know what? It really wouldn't matter whether it's adaptive or not... you can indeed skip questions and later come back to them within the same block. That is, you can do questions in any order and skip and go back to them as much as you want within any one block, but once you close that block, it's closed for good. The adaptive nature of the exam, as far as I understand it, is characterized by sequentially more, less, or equally difficult blocks depending on your performance on the preceding block. Comprende?

Or am I totally wrong?

Man I feel for you prominence. I remember the despair I felt studying for Step 1. Let me tell you though my friend, all the sweat, all the blood, all the forgone nights of carnal pleasures at the local watering hole... it was all worth it last Thursday for me, and it will be for you too when your time comes. Remember that. Study hard :).

Adaptive testing will NOT allow you to skip questions. The way adaptive testing works is that you are given one question... If you get it right, you get a harder question. If you get it wrong, you get an easier question. This cycle continues until you get several questions of equal difficulty so that your SD among the questions is around an arbitrary number (set by the testing agency).

The only way to proceed to another question is to answer the current question. You cannot skip questions. If you guess wrong, you get an easier question, and therefore you lower your score. This can be a brief thing or it could put you down a whole scale.

When I took Step I, it was not an adaptive test. We were able to skip questions within each block. Each block had 50 questions I believe. We could answer them in any order. When we finished the block (by clicking on an end block or finish or some similar button), then we received a popup asking if we're sure we want to quit. That popup informed us that we could not go back and change answers if we selected yes.

Step 1 is not "adaptive" now and you can skip questions

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from the USMLE website:
"During the defined time to complete the test items in each block, you may answer the test items in any order, review your responses, and change answers."

As far as adaptive testing, I could not find anything on the USMLE website regarding it. According to the First Aid series, the algorithm adjusts difficulty according to blocks of questions. Do well on one block, next block is harder. Do poorly on a block, next block is easier. This would seem to imply that you would still be able to skip questions/change answers within each block, as you can now.

From the Middle States Association of Collegiate Registrars and Officers of Admission:
(http://www.msacroa.org/proceed97/ses13.html)
"The USMLE steps may use a variant of CAT known as computer adaptive sequential testing (CAST). CAST works just like CAT, but adapts entire blocks of items to each examinee. By using pre-constructed blocks, CAST provides better control over the quality of test forms that every examinee sees.

"CAST uses blocks of items arranged in several stages of testing. Each item block is comparable to a test book in the current paper and pencil exam. These blocks will fixed in length and each block will be separately timed. For example, a block could have 60 items with a time limit of one hour. Scores are recomputed after each block; those scores are used to select the next item block to administer. This process of scoring and selecting blocks is repeated for a fixed number of stages. At the end of the block, the examinee can either take a programmed break or go on to the next block. The combination of item blocks adaptively administered to each examinee will be fully content balanced. Final scores will reflect the different difficulty levels of the various modules. However, scores will not be provided at the test site."

Again, this implies that decisions will be made on a block-by-block basis rather than question-by-question.

Here is what the University of Louisville med school thinks will happen:
(http://www.medschool.louisville.edu/medstudents/Second/2_step1boards.html)
"Computer Adaptive Sequential Testing (CAST):
A system that uses the computer to dynamically select questions that provide the most precise information possible about each examinee. The test bank will consist of a large number of modules. Performance on one module determines selection of the next module- if you have a difficult module and do well on it, you will receive a second module of comparable difficulty. If you do poorly on it, you will receive an easier module. A concern was raised regarding how this will affect student anxiety during the test (if you get really easy questions, does that mean you are doing poorly on the exam?) The response was that the differences in the difficulty levels are subtle, and faculty members were not able to accurately assess what the computer called difficult or easy. So it will not be apparent to students, while taking the exam, whether they are in a hard or easy module. The difficulty of each module will influence exam scoring- an algorithm incorporating the difficulty level of each module and the number of questions answered correctly will be used."

Again, block-by-block, not question-by-question.

So, who knows what will actually happen, but evidence seems to suggest that the adaptive testing algorithm used by the USMLE will be block-by-block decisions allowing the test taker to skip questions/change answers within a block.

For now, it is certain that adaptive testing has not been implemented yet.

I've recently sunk my extorted cash on this test, and will be taking it this summer. The rules they gave said you can skip questions within blocks and go back. But, as Cuts said, once you close that block - that's it.

I didn't see anything that described adaptive blocks. Either way, I'm going to pretend they aren't doing this yet so that I don't freak out if I suddenly realize the block I'm doing is strangely EASIER than that tricky last block...