Question when to take DAT..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesolic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confusing about the timeline..

Ok, dental schools don't look at my application if mine is not ready , right?

then why do I need to submit app ASAP if I am not ready for my DAT score ? ( I am going to take it in July 7 )

Should I submit application around July 7 ?

Should I still submit application around June 4 ?
, IF I still need to submit my application ASAP, then why do I do that because my DAT score won't be ready by that time ?

Members don't see this ad.

then why do I need to submit app ASAP if I am not ready for my DAT score ? ( I am going to take it in July 7

You submit your app ASAP because you should have had your DAT done before the cycle opens. July 7th puts you at a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
You submit your app ASAP because you should have had your DAT done before the cycle opens. July 7th puts you at a disadvantage.

So, what you mean is that ,

Submit app + DAT score on July IS SAME AS submit app on June and submit DAT on July ?????

if not, which is better, and why ??

Sea hawk is right, some schools won't look at your file until they have a DAT score, whereas others might. Its going to be a lot more common for schools to not look at you until you have a DAT though. If I were you, I'd fill everything out, and submit once you've taken your DAT. In the off-chance you get an outlier score (>21, <18) it might affect which programs you want to send that score to...

I was more referring to the applying dates. There is no advantage to applying super early (June 4th) vs sometime in July or very early August at some schools. Due to how they do interview dates and acceptances.

Call and find out.

Edit: I am well aware that earlier is normally better and I would apply earlier if I could. This was just the case for me at my first choice, so I thought it was worth mentioning. I now have an extra month to study for the DAT.

Last edited:
I was more referring to the applying dates. There is no advantage to applying super early (June 4th) vs sometime in July or very early August at some schools. Due to how they do interview dates and acceptances.

Call and find out.

Edit: I am well aware that earlier is normally better and I would apply earlier if I could. This was just the case for me at my first choice, so I thought it was worth mentioning. I now have an extra month to study for the DAT.

Thanks for advice

so the best way I can choose is submit application without DAT ( b/c I am taking July ) and then submit DAT score later.

right?

Biggest advice is to submit you applications when it opens up in june. Doesn't matter if your DAT scores haven't arrived yet or if you haven't taken it yet. The reason is because that is the longest process before the dental school deals with it. It takes about 3-4 weeks for your application to be complete/processed and ready to be mailed. The DAT takes about 2 weeks to get there and once they have it they will send off your application.