Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apellous

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO student who is considering Ortho and EM(or EM/IM). I have two ortho rotations in june and oct. Is Sept too late to do my first EM rotation. I was looking at different DO EM programs and some have stated that they are done interviewing by the end of sept or oct. Why do the DO programs interview so early in the year? Will I be hurt if I wait until Sept to do my 1st EM rotation? I know it wont matter for MD applications since most of the deadlines are in late Nov. I am planning on applying to both DO and MD EM.

Also does anyone have any info on the MI DO EM programs. i.e. POH, mt. clemens. MSU?

Thank you

apellous

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO September is late to do a first EM experience. At that rate you're not going to have an application in until middle of October and that is even on the late side for allo programs (although not past deadlines- but remember a deadline is to have a complete app). AFAIK the DO programs go earlier because their match is earlier. Check out the FAQ on this page for more info.

C

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the reply.

Apellous

I did my first EM rotation in September, and other than having to be on the ball about getting my LORs in time it worked out fine. But if you're doing EM that late, it would be helpful to have something on your application that demonstrated an interest in EM before September.