Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKS51193

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, All IMGs.

I am an IMG from one of the Caribbean Medical School. I have a question about can someone tell me if you do not want to take the USMLE exams or if you have been unable to pass it then what are you options? I have heard of something that you need to sign some kind of waiver saying that you will never be able to practice as physician in the USA but you can still finish the 4 year degree on the island. Can someone provide me more details on this topic?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

This is something only your school can answer. I'm sure each school handles this differently, but from SGU I'm pretty sure you were not allowed to continue if you did not pass step 1. Some clinical rotation sites won't even let you rotate there if you have not past the test.

This is something only your school can answer. I'm sure each school handles this differently, but from SGU I'm pretty sure you were not allowed to continue if you did not pass step 1. Some clinical rotation sites won't even let you rotate there if you have not past the test.

This may have changed since I left the island, but I believe you could opt to take a comprehensive basic science exam in lieu of Step 1, and a comprehensive clinical exam and OSCE in lieu of step 2 CK/CS. Again, not sure if this is still the case...and it's essentially the same thing as taking the Step 1/2CK/2CS...