Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

febe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys
when you reapply, do we have to send a different personal essay or can we send the same one??? Also the do I have to get new recommendation or can I send the same letters I have now???

Members don't see this ad.

febe said:
hi guys
when you reapply, do we have to send a different personal essay or can we send the same one??? Also the do I have to get new recommendation or can I send the same letters I have now???

you can use the same essay if you really think its good, but if theres any flaws in it you need a new one to prove to them that you are not the same applicant that they rejected last year, you need to be improved. as for the recomendations i have the impression that your professors send them in directly not you in which case you need to ask them to do it again, either way if there is a date on those recomendations it needs to be changed...

The answer to both of those questions is that you CAN send in the same items. However, that isn't typically recommended because it may be your essay and/or LORs that turned the adcoms off to your application in the first place.

If they weren't the motivating force behind any decisions, then you might also suspect that those items weren't strong enough or polished enough to really boost your application to where you wanted it to be.

I'd redo them.