Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2008

i want it all
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A "hypothetical" question/scenario....

Let's just say one were offered a full time position at a prestigious, ivy league medical school doing clinical/research type work. im taking time off before applying and this would be a great opportunity to gain even more clinical, research etc experience as well as make great contacts. Lets also presume that the MD/PhD of this practice (who is everyone's boss) just happens to be the Dean of said medical school. Also during the several interviews for this position, it was mentioned that a recommendation from this MD/PhD would be very beneficial in hightening my chances for an acceptance to medical school. Ok, now...here's the bad part. Let's also just say that the person you would report to every day is miserable. I mean truly, truly miserable.
Hates the job, even though that person has been there for over 25 years (and has worked solo the whole time and now I would be the assitant to this person), dislikes EVERYONE in the practice (was even making comments about others working in this place while having a one on one interview), talking "down" to me and basically flat out said that if I were hired he/she would make my life absolutely miserable until I quit or got fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh!!!!!!!!!

However, I do not want to let one person ruin any opportunity for me and as far as I know, all other staff at this job know how this particular person is - but I just dont know. I would hate to go into work everyday and get yelled at OR even worse, have my experiments "mysteriously" not work b/c someone might have messed with them....or other weird stuff like that.

So, what would you guys do? I am on the fence here, really.

Nice comments/opinions welcome.
Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd run screaming from this situation. I worked for a PI for 6 weeks, same miserable story, and realized that he was playing the lab aides (all female) against each other for his attention. He indulged his favorite girls and ignored the others, and his favorites changed weekly. His history of doing recommendations is either total LOVE or total LOATHING, and god save you if he doesn't LOVE you.

I decided I was taking too big of a risk with a PI I didn't trust to support me after 2 expected years of me supporting him. I wasn't looking for an easy LOR: I expected to earn his recommendation by working my heinie off and getting published, and by being a good team player. The PI's recommendation needed to be more of a sure (earned!) thing for me to stay.

If you have access to one researcher like the one you describe, you probably have access to lots. Talk to the students who work for this guy and other PIs and find a lab you'll be happy in.

Thanks so much for your reply! I definately see your point!!!!!!:)

Life it too short and, in the grand scale of things, a letter of recommendation (unless horrendous) won't be a variable that significantly affects medical school entry.