Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stang21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am extremely passionate about being a rural food animal (bovine especially). I am as close to 100% as one can be about that, and my experience completely backs this up. As i wrote my personal statement, I really tried to hit home on the fact I am excited to move back and work the incredibly demanding rural food animal vet. But I also did not touch much on other animal stuff. Is this bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry to laugh, but your first line

I am extremely passionate about being a rural food animal (bovine especially).

made me giggle.:laugh:

Its alright, its true though. I mean thats really what I want to do. I've been around it my whole life and really enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, she's not laughing because of what you want to do, but because you wrote that you want to be a rural bovine not rural bovine Veterinarian which I'm assuming, is what you meant

I am assuming that you had vet and animal experience to show in other areas other than Large Animal. Did you leave room to explore other options of specialization in your essay? If you didn't, then they may think that your focus was too narrow, and you didn't try the other options.
If you are still open to the different possibilities, but focused on the goal, it will look better for you.

We are running a shortage on LA vets and it'll only get worse as the Baby Boomers retire. It might look good to the Ad Comms that you have a direction.

Good Luck

There's a big need for rural vets--not nearly as many people wanting to do it these days. That might work in your favor.

...shrug... it seems like anything can work either for or against you...

FWIW, my equine vet told me when I started this whole process, that if I got some LA/food animal experience and could prove I had "demonstrated interest" in rural LA/food animal practice, it could potentially be a golden ticket into vet school. I know there are a few schools out there who specifically look for diversity and some that are definitely looking for people in these areas. I think it will probably help you, especially since you have the experience to back it up!

I think it is great to know what you want to do and be so dedicated to it (and yes, I was just giggling at the missing last word :)), but, and this is not just for your PS but for yourself in general, it is good to always be open. I have always been in SA and always thought that was where I wanted to be. I spent this summer shadowing a LA vet and I can't believe how much I love it - in fact, I am continuing to shadow, just because I amd so enjoying it. Never in a thousand years would I have ever thought I would be interested in LA, so I think being open to new ideas is a good thing. I guess what I am saying is, don't close yourself off to new possibilities, especially if you are (and I think you are) young.

I am extremely passionate about being a rural food animal (bovine especially). I am as close to 100% as one can be about that, and my experience completely backs this up. As i wrote my personal statement, I really tried to hit home on the fact I am excited to move back and work the incredibly demanding rural food animal vet. But I also did not touch much on other animal stuff. Is this bad?

If your experience bears this out, go for it. It's OK to have focused experience if you have alot of it. It would be important for your letter writers to stress that you know what being a vet is all about.

Don't assume however that schools are desperate/ looking to increase the number of food animal applicants. There are plenty of jobs across the profession going unfilled and at least a couple of schools are rethinking the notion of giving extra attention to FA interested folks.

Hey, it worked for me... My experience was primarly food animal, and that is what I want to do when I get out. PM me if you have any questions.