Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrettyPenguins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently applied as an undergraduate to Ohio State. On my application, I am applying to major in zoology with prevet. I went on a visit last Friday, however, and they told me that most prevet students are majoring in animal science. Now I know that there is no "best major" but I feel that some majors would leave you better prepared than others, and I want the best preparation I can have. I've compared the curriculum, and I think I would enjoy animal science more, but I want the science involved with the zoology. I may end up having to major in 1 and minor in the other.

My question is, what did you major in as an undergrad, and how prepared did you feel you were for vet school? Would you change anything?

Members don't see this ad.

good question! i majored in biology bc my undergrad school offered no animal science or zoology or anything animal related at all. and i wouldn't have changed it, i really liked that major.

in speaking with current osu vet students, it does seem like the majority majored in animal science, but it also doesn't seem to have put them heads above everyone else by any means. major in whatever you want, really. just put it all together with all the other stuff to make it work for you.

I majored in Zoology and got along just fine :) The only two animal science classes that I took were the ones required for my in-state school (Intro to Animal Science & Intro to Animal Nutrition)... and that was more than enough for me! Animal Science really just didn't interest me at all, because I'm more of a science person than a farming person.

The biggest consideration for undergrad, though, needs to be your Plan B - ie. what will you do if you don't get into vet school (and/or if the market for vets keeps decreasing and you change your mind on the field). Animal Science would send you more towards working with livestock/farming, while Zoology would send you more towards scientific research.

You can major in whatever you'd like for undergrad (I had one vet school classmate who was a music major!), as long as you take your pre-reqs.