questioning dr. collins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmD hopeful

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
QUESTION SDN,

Everybody rants and raves about Dr. Collins so I brought it brand new. So Im excited when I get it and and rip it open to start studying. Great right? No. Here lies all the questions but without any explanation. Are we supposed to memorize these questions answers or know how to do them?lol. So why does it cost so much money without justification to these questions??????? Does anyone else feel this way? If so, whats your plan of attack on this. Any input is def. appreciated. Thanks in advance SDN.

PharmD hopeful
 
I do agree that Dr. Collins does not provide you with much in the way of explanation and that the study guide just throws out the information. However, your college classes should have already explained the concepts in detail. I studied with Dr. Collins already being taught everything in chemistry, biology and math; I pretty much just looked at the concepts and understood what was going on, making sure to see the big picture and doing very little to no memorization.
 
Chemistry is, IMO, the most important section if I had to choose one out of the five. Before diving into Dr. Collins organic chemistry, I would highly recommend that you take at least your first semester/quarter of organic. It will make your life much easier.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im not taking orgo til the fall semester and am taking the pcat in july. Thats my dilema ive been ripping my hair out over this dr. Collins chm packet. I wish I could find someone on sdn from chicago also taking tge pcat in july so we can study together.
 
Im not taking orgo til the fall semester and am taking the pcat in july. Thats my dilema ive been ripping my hair out over this dr. Collins chm packet. I wish I could find someone on sdn from chicago also taking tge pcat in july so we can study together.

I am in the same situation, taking the PCAT without organic chemistry. If you're willing to spend some money, try Chad's video on ***********. The videos are meant for people with a background of ochem as a refresher. But with Dr. Collins study guide and resources online I was able to follow along and grab the important concepts.
 
Im not taking orgo til the fall semester and am taking the pcat in july. Thats my dilema ive been ripping my hair out over this dr. Collins chm packet. I wish I could find someone on sdn from chicago also taking tge pcat in july so we can study together.

Start watching chads videos on ochem and get David Kleins book on first semester topics of ochem. July is not that far away so plan accordingly.
 
This may be a stupid question but do you guys think that if one memorizes all 13 tests that dr. Collins has for chm you will be able to tackle any question on the pcat ? Just wondering.
 
This may be a stupid question but do you guys think that if one memorizes all 13 tests that dr. Collins has for chm you will be able to tackle any question on the pcat ? Just wondering.

I wouldn't bet on it. Memorization at the college level gets you just about nowhere; it is incredibly important to understand and integrate the concepts.

Just from my point of view, no question I had on the PCAT was the same/similar to Dr. Collins. The concepts they both test where the same, though.