Questioning whether I can make it through Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HotchkissEducator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm a 23 y/o teacher who is applying to the upcoming cycle. 22 DAT, 3.76 AADSAS GPA, 3.65 BCP, 3.67 sGPA.

Based on my stats, people keep telling me I'm going to get into D-School, and I really hope I do. Going somewhere on the East Coast would be great.

I think the field of Dentistry is great, I like the lifestyle, and enjoyed my dentist, as well as working in a dental office.

However, as of late, I've begun to question whether or not I have the ability to make it through Dental School. My cousin recently came home, and she's gearing up to take her Boards for D-school soon, she's in her 2nd year of Dental School. She also talks about how she has a test every other day and how manual dexterity is really important, always icing her arms and stuff.

To be honest, I HATE EXAMS. There is nothing more that I hate in the world. I find them so mentally exhaustive. Studying for the DAT was a nightmare, I studied for 5 months for that score. Before that I took the MCAT, and the MCAT broke me. I ended up with a 28 on that, got accepted to a DO school, and decided Medical School wasn't for me but that was because I finally shadowed a doctor and just didn't like it. Anyways, after I took the MCAT, I began to hate standardized testing. In College, sure I studied for exams (like two nights before), and would get a considerable bit above the curve pretty easily. BUT, I'm kind of lazy. Also, do dental students have like a natural talent for manual dexterity? I can type fast but that's about it. I'm kind of clumsy too.

I would love to call myself a dentist. But I've started to question if I can make it through.

Members don't see this ad.

Your cousin is a more valuable resource on this than us.

Seems like you have a problem making decisions and not a problem with academic ability.

Members don't see this ad :)
hwRlbuJ.png

Reactions: 1 user
well you somehow managed a 3.67sgpa and you say you hate exams? haha what did your school do to test you guys?

seems like exams are mostly m/c and on power points.

what is his question!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys!

I'm a 23 y/o teacher who is applying to the upcoming cycle. 22 DAT, 3.76 AADSAS GPA, 3.65 BCP, 3.67 sGPA.

Based on my stats, people keep telling me I'm going to get into D-School, and I really hope I do. Going somewhere on the East Coast would be great.

I think the field of Dentistry is great, I like the lifestyle, and enjoyed my dentist, as well as working in a dental office.

However, as of late, I've begun to question whether or not I have the ability to make it through Dental School. My cousin recently came home, and she's gearing up to take her Boards for D-school soon, she's in her 2nd year of Dental School. She also talks about how she has a test every other day and how manual dexterity is really important, always icing her arms and stuff.

To be honest, I HATE EXAMS. There is nothing more that I hate in the world. I find them so mentally exhaustive. Studying for the DAT was a nightmare, I studied for 5 months for that score. Before that I took the MCAT, and the MCAT broke me. I ended up with a 28 on that, got accepted to a DO school, and decided Medical School wasn't for me but that was because I finally shadowed a doctor and just didn't like it. Anyways, after I took the MCAT, I began to hate standardized testing. In College, sure I studied for exams (like two nights before), and would get a considerable bit above the curve pretty easily. BUT, I'm kind of lazy. Also, do dental students have like a natural talent for manual dexterity? I can type fast but that's about it. I'm kind of clumsy too.

I would love to call myself a dentist. But I've started to question if I can make it through.
Based on your stats it seems like you're capable of handling dental school. Your reasonings behind pursuing dentistry seem to be honest and sustainable. IMO those are two pretty important factors in whether you can 'survive' dental school or not.

That being said I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who really enjoys taking exams or studying for them. I have four cousins who are either currently in dental school or are current dentists and they all said dental school is damn hard and just like you they had there doubts about whether they could cut it or not, but all four of them are doing well or graduated already. I'm no expert but I think its going to be similar to when you go from high school to undergrad you have to adapt your study habits and become a more efficient student, you did it than and you can do it again.

Have more confidence in yourself and try not to psyche yourself out (i.e. get out of your own head, its nice out here). A lot of things seem daunting when you look at them as a whole but if you take things one day/step at a time things become a lot more manageable. Take for example I'm sure you thought getting a 22 on your DAT was impossible on your first week of studying but you studied hard and got the score you deserved.

Short version: keep your chin up things aren't always as hard you make them out to be

Reactions: 1 user