Questions about a few programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
U of Florida
Emory
Mayo (Jacksonville)

Do any of these stand head and shoulders above the others? I have heard rave reviews of UF and am curious, since I know nothing about the program(s). Im also curious about any information about comparable programs. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Idiopathic said:
U of Florida
Emory
Mayo (Jacksonville)

Do any of these stand head and shoulders above the others? I have heard rave reviews of UF and am curious, since I know nothing about the program(s). Im also curious about any information about comparable programs. Thanks.

Idiopathic said:
U of Florida
Emory
Mayo (Jacksonville)

Biased here towards UF.

Was impressed with all three programs, and all three had a special angle to offer.

Mayo, it was a relatively relaxed program, wonderful (possibly the best I saw on the trail) and civilized working conditions, some great faculty, chance to rotate in Rochester, and the number 2 or 3 liver tx caseload in the country. It's a rather new program, and it is small. Southern Jax is a nice place to live, and housing is still relatlively cheap.

Emory seemed to do a lot well. Grady seemed to offer a wealth of opportunity for training, and was pretty nice for what I'd heard. Chair and faculty seemed pretty nice, modelled that southern hospitality. I was pretty impressed.

UF...for me was the best, but to be fair I was more familiar with this program than the others. Chair and PD are top-notch. Other programs would comment on the strength of the UF residency program. (Heard accolades from people as far west as UCLA about what a great program UF was.) Daily AM didactics, which seemed rare on the interview trail. Very strong simulator presence. PD not afraid to put you into bigger cases early on. Awesome ICU experience, as anesthesiology runs the SICU. Gainesville is a great town, just awesome, especially if you have a family. Night float rather than scheduled call on anesthesia rotations, but this is a matter of preference.

Firmly recommend you come spend a month at UF to try out the town. The whole UF package worked best for me, but your circumstances may be different. PM me with any questions.