Questions about a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killergiant34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions regarding pharmacists. The first one is, do you get paid more at a hospital or a retail store like CVS. Second, how much does your pay increase. I know you can start out making 100k or more, but i heard that it doesnt really go up too much. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

I have two questions regarding pharmacists. The first one is, do you get paid more at a hospital or a retail store like CVS. Second, how much does your pay increase. I know you can start out making 100k or more, but i heard that it doesnt really go up too much. Is that true?

1. Usually you get paid less at a hospital, but not always. This lower pay tends to translate, though, into way better working conditions and better benefits and more stability.

2. No, it doesn't go up very much... There is a pretty swift glass ceiling on pharmacy. Then again, not very many salaries go over $150,000 per year in general. Some MDs, some dentists, some executives, etc. That's easily in the top 5% of Americans.

If you're concerned about money, open your own store and start your own business. You can make a lot more than you ever will working in retail, but work so many more hours and deal with more stress and more responsibilities.