Questions about anesthesology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mandy42392

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just recently started college and have been pondering over several differient majors. I know I want to go into something medical related, preferrably Anesthiology, however I can't find any information so I decided to post a forum and ask.

Here are my questions:
  • How long do you have to go to school?
  • Is there residency? If so, how long?
  • Does anyone know of any schools? Preferably a list of schools?
  • How would you rate the school work/career, extremely stressful, moderataly stressful, or barely stressful?
Thats all I can think of at the moment but I know I have more in me. Also Im sorry if anything is mispelled, I was in a hurry to type this. Thank in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

After graduating college, 4 years of medical school, then 4 years of residency. You can go to any accredited medical school. There are anesthesiology residency programs in almost every state.

How "stressful" it is depends on a lot of things but I think that on the whole, it is significantly more stressful than the pathways to most careers outside medicine.

Questions about anesthesology? / preferrably Anesthiology​

Which one is it going to be? those are 2 very very different fields :D

Anyway there's a thread called "sticky / FAQ" you might want to check it out​

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
just a question. how can you want to do "preferably anesthesiology" if, judging by your questions, you actually know absolutely nothing about it?

at your point i would not worry about a specific career in medicine. statistically, the majority of medical students change their specialty choice after a year or two of medical school.

If you go to a university that has a medical school, it might be worthwhile to seek out an anesthesiology faculty member and ask if you can spend some time observing in the operating room. This takes a bit of effort. There you can ask residents or attendings a few questions about medicine and anesthesia and get a glimpse of what they do. This is what I did for a little bit in college, albeit somewhat by accident, and I think it better informed my decision to apply to medical school and subsequently consider anesthesia.

Hi,
I have just recently started college and have been pondering over several differient majors. I know I want to go into something medical related, preferrably Anesthiology, however I can't find any information so I decided to post a forum and ask.

Here are my questions:
  • How long do you have to go to school?
  • Is there residency? If so, how long?
  • Does anyone know of any schools? Preferably a list of schools?
  • How would you rate the school work/career, extremely stressful, moderataly stressful, or barely stressful?
Thats all I can think of at the moment but I know I have more in me. Also Im sorry if anything is mispelled, I was in a hurry to type this. Thank in advance!

1) The route to med school involves doing well in high school, doing well in college, and being fortunate/lucky with getting into medical school. When I applied around 50% of applicants were successful.

2) Everyone does a residency these days. Surgical residencies tend to be long, with family medicine/internal medicine being a few years shorter. Anesthesiology is currently 4 years.

3) Not sure what you mean by list of schools. You can get into any field of medicine by attending any medical school.

4) As LJ said, stress/happiness are extremely variable depending on who you talk to. A good place to start for you would be to find a few physicians locally in different fields (internal medicine, surgery, radiology, anesthesiology, etc.) to get an idea of the variety within medicine. You have a long road ahead of you, and the best way to get there is to focus on the next step, not 3-4 steps ahead of yourself. Good luck.

statistically, the majority of medical students change their specialty choice after a year or two of medical school.

That is so true. I started out wanting so much to be a surgeon, and I even had a good idea of what it was like to be a surgeon. Throughout my first year, my struggle was between vascular surgery, plastic surgery, orthopedic surgery, or neurosurgery. Then all of the sudden, I did a pharmacology elective in anesthesia just to see what life was like on the other side of the curtain, and :boom:I was hooked.
So yeah, forget about any notion of wanting to specialize in something. But just read around, these forums contain very good information and the practice/lifestyle of different specialties are very different