Questions about applying to PM&R

Started by NTF
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NTF

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an M3 with an interest in Adult v Peds PM&R (also Peds Neuro). I recently got back some of my 4th year schedule from our school's lottery and it's created some concerns for me about application timing. My interest in PM&R stems from an interest in Neuro & musculoskeletal medicine. I did some PM&R shadowing during M1/M2 and really enjoyed it. I also volunteered on a Peds Rehab unit long before med school. I've been torn between Neuro & PM&R. I love the complex diagnostics of Neuro but I also love the focus on gain of function & the opportunity for procedures in PM&R.

Anyways, my 4th year schedule starts as follows:
June - IM AI
July - Peds AI
August - Peds Neurology
September - PM&R

I've been in contact with program directors for both Peds Neuro & PM&R. Because of my interest in both Adult v Peds PM&R the PM&R department is designing the PM&R elective specially for me so I'll have 2 weeks of adult & 2 weeks of Peds.

My question concerns LORs and the appearance in my application of only having had PM&R 2-3wks before I send in my ERAS. I'm pretty sure it'll be very difficult to get PM&R LORs by the time I send out my applications in early September so they'll have to come in later. I'm also concerned how compelling my PS can be with my PM&R elective coming so late. Would it really pass the smell test to talk about my inital interest in Neuro, shadowing PM&R during my M1/M2 and things from my 1st 2 weeks in september? Would LORs from my AI's or Neuro suffice at first to get me interviews before I can get PM&R LORs? I'm sure the PM&R chair would write me a letter but he wouldn't have ever worked with me in a clinical setting when he wrote me the letter.

I guess what I'm asking is would non-PM&R LORs and a PS written with <2wks on a PMR elective suffice to get me interviews before I get in PM&R LORs. I'd hope to elaborate on my personal experiences in PM&R during interviews.

I've also tried to trade out one of my AI's to get PM&R earlier but have not had any takers.

Just to elaborate on my qualifications as a candidate. I go to a mid-level MD school (top 50 USNWR). I'm in the top 20% of my class. Step 1 in the 250s. I've gotten all HP's and a couple of H's during M3.

I apologize for the long neurotic post. I also apologize if this is the wrong forum to post about this. Thanks again in advance.
 
Breathe...

You have plenty of material for a personal statement. " My interest in PM&R stems from an interest in Neuro & musculoskeletal medicine. I did some PM&R shadowing during M1/M2 and really enjoyed it" and the peds rehab thing prior to med school. Write about that.

Also if you do a 4 week PM&R elective starting Sept 1st, you can have a letter by Oct 15th. You have to give them a few week to write it after you ask for it, so ask by week 3.

I think you'll be fine with that timeline.