Questions about applying to PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M3 with an interest in Adult v Peds PM&R (also Peds Neuro). I recently got back some of my 4th year schedule from our school's lottery and it's created some concerns for me about application timing. My interest in PM&R stems from an interest in Neuro & musculoskeletal medicine. I did some PM&R shadowing during M1/M2 and really enjoyed it. I also volunteered on a Peds Rehab unit long before med school. I've been torn between Neuro & PM&R. I love the complex diagnostics of Neuro but I also love the focus on gain of function & the opportunity for procedures in PM&R.

Anyways, my 4th year schedule starts as follows:
June - IM AI
July - Peds AI
August - Peds Neurology
September - PM&R

I've been in contact with program directors for both Peds Neuro & PM&R. Because of my interest in both Adult v Peds PM&R the PM&R department is designing the PM&R elective specially for me so I'll have 2 weeks of adult & 2 weeks of Peds.

My question concerns LORs and the appearance in my application of only having had PM&R 2-3wks before I send in my ERAS. I'm pretty sure it'll be very difficult to get PM&R LORs by the time I send out my applications in early September so they'll have to come in later. I'm also concerned how compelling my PS can be with my PM&R elective coming so late. Would it really pass the smell test to talk about my inital interest in Neuro, shadowing PM&R during my M1/M2 and things from my 1st 2 weeks in september? Would LORs from my AI's or Neuro suffice at first to get me interviews before I can get PM&R LORs? I'm sure the PM&R chair would write me a letter but he wouldn't have ever worked with me in a clinical setting when he wrote me the letter.

I guess what I'm asking is would non-PM&R LORs and a PS written with <2wks on a PMR elective suffice to get me interviews before I get in PM&R LORs. I'd hope to elaborate on my personal experiences in PM&R during interviews.

I've also tried to trade out one of my AI's to get PM&R earlier but have not had any takers.

Just to elaborate on my qualifications as a candidate. I go to a mid-level MD school (top 50 USNWR). I'm in the top 20% of my class. Step 1 in the 250s. I've gotten all HP's and a couple of H's during M3.

I apologize for the long neurotic post. I also apologize if this is the wrong forum to post about this. Thanks again in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Breathe...

You have plenty of material for a personal statement. " My interest in PM&R stems from an interest in Neuro & musculoskeletal medicine. I did some PM&R shadowing during M1/M2 and really enjoyed it" and the peds rehab thing prior to med school. Write about that.

Also if you do a 4 week PM&R elective starting Sept 1st, you can have a letter by Oct 15th. You have to give them a few week to write it after you ask for it, so ask by week 3.

I think you'll be fine with that timeline.