Questions about AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmgopal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi to any AZCOM med students or prospective students.

I wanted to know your impressions about AZCOM, the curiculum, and I hear it has a really good reputation for scoring on the COMPLEX exam, about the campus....anything you find valuable.

Also I was first found out about D.O. schools in high school thru a field trip from a summer camp and then I met a DO student over last summer when I was doing a volunteer internship in India thru Unite for Sight, which was an excellent exprience and helped me understand why I want to be a doctor.

I am graduating with about a 3.5 in Molecular Biology with honors from Univ of Wisconsin-Madison this May and ill have next year off. My set back is my O Chem I grade which was a C but improved to a B for IInd semester....so thats kind of iffy to MD schools I hear. Also I am taking the MCAT in April...what average scores do DO schools accept students with?

Members don't see this ad.

Great to hear that you're interested in applying to osteopathic medical schools. I'm a 4th year at AZCOM and have had a very positive experience with the school. No, it's not perfect, but all in all, I feel like I've received a great education, had excellent classmates and wonderful instructors (for the most part). The tuition and hot weather can be big distractors. However, in summary, it's been a very positive experience for both myself and my family (wife and 2 girls).

I believe the average stats for my class were: overall GPA 3.5, science GPA 3.3, MCAT 26, age 26, 50/50 male/female. Hope this info helps. We have a few people in my class from Wisconsin...and they're pretty good people. Good luck in your endeavors!

vmgopal said:
Hi to any AZCOM med students or prospective students.

I wanted to know your impressions about AZCOM, the curiculum, and I hear it has a really good reputation for scoring on the COMPLEX exam, about the campus....anything you find valuable.

Also I was first found out about D.O. schools in high school thru a field trip from a summer camp and then I met a DO student over last summer when I was doing a volunteer internship in India thru Unite for Sight, which was an excellent exprience and helped me understand why I want to be a doctor.

I am graduating with about a 3.5 in Molecular Biology with honors from Univ of Wisconsin-Madison this May and ill have next year off. My set back is my O Chem I grade which was a C but improved to a B for IInd semester....so thats kind of iffy to MD schools I hear. Also I am taking the MCAT in April...what average scores do DO schools accept students with?

100% pass rate on the COMLEX last year

no such thing as the COMPLEX

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
no such thing as the COMPLEX

true, but the dvd that azcom sends out when you schedule your interview has a graphic that pops up, which reads:

"COMPLEX pass rate....."

pretty funny

Does anyone know AZCOM's pass rate for the USMLE?

MechE said:
Does anyone know AZCOM's pass rate for the USMLE?

Most schools don't release USMLE pass rates, or so I have been told.

Edited to cancel the post. Sorry.)

AZCOM's tuition is the highest of any DO school, and rising quickly... the average standardized test scores really aren't that important... I wouldn't choice any school baised on that....

Also, be sure to ask A LOT of questions about 3rd and 4th year rotations....

i.e.

1) How often will I get hosp. based rotations? (not very, if at all)
2) Will I be switched at the last minute from a rotation I wanted to one that is completely undesirable? (yes, often)
3) Will I have to drive 3+ hours a day, more then 60 miles each way, down to Mesa to rotate? (yes, in my case 3 or 4 rotations just this year alone)
4) Will I be able to review the questions that I missed on exams? (no, and no exceptions)
5) If the accepted answer on an exam is clearly wrong, will you give me credit for the correct answer? (no, and no exceptions)
6) Will the school help me set up non-computer lottery rotations? (no)
7) Due to all the testing in 3rd and 4th year, is it possible I will have to repeat an entire year, even though all my preceptors passed me and I aced the boards? (yes) If I decelerate, will you charge me more money? (yes, an entire years tuition)