Technology questions about buying palm treo

Started by redwing16
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redwing16

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm looking to buy a smartphone before I start my rotations in july. I just want something that can run the medical programs and give me my normal phone and texting service. I dont have a big expensive data plan, so i dont even know if i can use a palm treo without having internet service. I would really appreciate some advice from someone with some experience, as I have none with these types of phones. I have been looking on ebay at the 700p and 700w. Can get a pretty good deal on them. basically i want to know:
1) what type of plan do I need to have (Verizon) to run these phones (is it required for me to have the internet, etc.)
2) which one would serve me well for rotations
3) where can i get the most common and useful programs for these phones, as I hear most of them are free. Thank you!
 
Verizon will try to push a data plan with these smart phones. However, a data plan is NOT necessary.

I would suggest the XV6800 - very fast, has lots of internal memory, nice keyboard, etc.

I had a Treo 700wx and it was nice, but slow. also, it didn't have enough internal memory (the 700w is even worse).

Make sure you get something that has a touch screen.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm looking to buy a smartphone before I start my rotations in july. I just want something that can run the medical programs and give me my normal phone and texting service. I dont have a big expensive data plan, so i dont even know if i can use a palm treo without having internet service. I would really appreciate some advice from someone with some experience, as I have none with these types of phones. I have been looking on ebay at the 700p and 700w. Can get a pretty good deal on them. basically i want to know:
1) what type of plan do I need to have (Verizon) to run these phones (is it required for me to have the internet, etc.)
2) which one would serve me well for rotations
3) where can i get the most common and useful programs for these phones, as I hear most of them are free. Thank you!

Any Blackberry users here? I have been thinking about replacing an old verizon cell phone with one. I know the OS does not have a lot of medical software out there so that is not a huge issue for me. I would be using it more for email/internet/PIM.
 
palm centro

The Treo 755p feels more solidly-built compared to the Centro, the screen is larger and more readable, and the keyboard is much easier to type on. Comparison review here: http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/8436.html (although the Centro wins).

PalmCentroComparison.jpg


Edit: After looking at them several times in the Verizon stores, I broke down and bought a Centro this afternoon. The small size finally won me over, and maybe I'm getting used to the keyboard.
 
Last edited by a moderator: