Questions about DAT registration??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS:)

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Sdners
I have few questions about DAT, I called DAT, but they were saying once your application for DAT sumitted, you can not change anything on there anymore. (Even though they were also saying they are not going to process it till next Tue. Dec.27th, I will not be able to schedule a date till they processed it.) :eek:

1. I registered DAT on the ADA.org already, and I have choose the list of schools I want my scores send to, but I am not applying until June 2006, which is for the 2007 cycle. So will the schools hold my scores? Or I will have to request them sent to the schools again when the application cycle comes around? :confused:

2. Let's say just in case, I didnt do as well as I wanted, so the list of schools I choose will see the scores even before I apply and before I take the second time. What's differences between sending the 1st time score(bad one) to the list of the schools before 2nd time as well as applying, and not sending the scores at all till I take the 2nd time after I applied?? Will the 2 ways be the same in terms of application process? Will both effect my chances evenly, or sending the scores to the schools before I am applying just wasting of my money and lower my chances if I didnt do well? :scared:

Please posting if you know anything, i am so freaking out right now about this mistake I made, I should think carefully before I filled out the DAT application. :(
Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Once you get the letter from ADA. You can set a date for the DAT (Basically whenever u want to take it). You have a year to decide when you are ready cause the application holds for 12 months (since the day u submit the application or the day u recieve the letter... i dont really remember). Honestly, you could take practice tests, u don't really have to assume that ur first DAT might be bad. [if it is, it kinda works in ur favor, cause if u ace it the second time - u show the schools how much you've improved... but that would take another $70 & additional weeks invested in studying, as opposed to going out and having a good time w/ ur friends :cool: ]

BabberSher said:
Once you get the letter from ADA. You can set a date for the DAT (Basically whenever u want to take it). You have a year to decide when you are ready cause the application holds for 12 months (since the day u submit the application or the day u recieve the letter... i dont really remember). Honestly, you could take practice tests, u don't really have to assume that ur first DAT might be bad. [if it is, it kinda works in ur favor, cause if u ace it the second time - u show the schools how much you've improved... but that would take another $70 & additional weeks invested in studying, as opposed to going out and having a good time w/ ur friends :cool: ]

Hi, BabberSher
Thanks for ur reply.
So are you saying that schools will have my DAT scores after they received it for as long as 12 month, and when they reviews my file in Aug. or Sep., they should have them on hands already? If that's the case, I will be less worried, because when I called, they also tell me it might takes 3-4 weeks for requesting scores.

by the way, did u take ur DAT before application cycle starts too?

-DDS:)

Members don't see this ad :)
DDS:) said:
Hi, BabberSher
Thanks for ur reply.
So are you saying that schools will have my DAT scores after they received it for as long as 12 month, and when they reviews my file in Aug. or Sep., they should have them on hands already? If that's the case, I will be less worried, because when I called, they also tell me it might takes 3-4 weeks for requesting scores.

by the way, did u take ur DAT before application cycle starts too?

-DDS:)

ADA will keep ur application for 12 months, so u have 12 months to decide when u want to take the DAT. I'm not sure how long the schools would keep ur scores, though. I am assuming they would get ur scores, make a file up for u (some folder w/ ur name on it). And the schools will keep it for the next cycle, and add things to it as u send them. I don't think u really have to worry about anything, really.

Let's say they have ur scores, and u submit ur application in May (or June). It takes AADSAS 4 weeks to process and send the applications to the schools. If you do awesome on the DAT ur first time, you will be one of their first complete applications, greatly increasing ur chances of getting into ur first choice Dental school :)

When are u planning on taking the exam, and are u taking a kaplan course, or something?

BabberSher said:
ADA will keep ur application for 12 months, so u have 12 months to decide when u want to take the DAT. I'm not sure how long the schools would keep ur scores, though. I am assuming they would get ur scores, make a file up for u (some folder w/ ur name on it). And the schools will keep it for the next cycle, and add things to it as u send them. I don't think u really have to worry about anything, really.

Let's say they have ur scores, and u submit ur application in May (or June). It takes AADSAS 4 weeks to process and send the applications to the schools. If you do awesome on the DAT ur first time, you will be one of their first complete applications, greatly increasing ur chances of getting into ur first choice Dental school :)

When are u planning on taking the exam, and are u taking a kaplan course, or something?

I am taking it at the end of Jan or early Feb., I didnt take any courses, I like self-study rather than class-room setting.