Questions about extracurriculars, AP credits, and BS/MD programs

Started by Stampler
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Stampler

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a high school student interested in becoming a doctor, and despite all the people claiming that getting into a top (insert number here) school isn't that important, I'd still rather go to school at a competitive school like an ivy league.

The problem I'm having is that I don't know what extracurriculars I need to do to be considered a good applicant. This might be more for college than med school, I'm not sure, but I plan on getting involved in a lot of academic competitions in high school. Examples include Model UN and PJAS(a science fair type competition) Would being involved in a few of those for a couple years fail to compare with something like being in a student council or tutoring children at a local elementary school?

As for the AP question, I was wondering if it is a wise choice to submit the test scores to the college. The reason I was wondering this is because I will probably be taking AP Biology and AP Chemistry and if I submit them to the college, that will either give me only one semester or no semester of these classes. The classes are important for the MCAT though, so would it be better for me to just not send the scores and take the classes at the college so I can get a thorough knowledge of these subjects? Is it even possible for me to send in all the scores but those?

Keep in mind I'm still in high school and have yet to schedule all my classes, but I'm curious as to what would make me a competitive applicant into an accelerated BS/MD program. My current plans are to take all honors(gifted, if it being a gifted class matters at all) classes and then all AP classes in 11th and 12th grade, all with A's. Would that make me likely to get into one of those programs, or do I have to have something else? I also got something like a 1000 in math and critical reading when I took the SATs in 7th grade, so I'd imagine I'll be able to get 2000+ when I take them again.

Whew, sorry for the wall of text. Thanks!
 
I'm a high school student interested in becoming a doctor, and despite all the people claiming that getting into a top (insert number here) school isn't that important, I'd still rather go to school at a competitive school like an ivy league.

If you can get into an ivy league school and afford it, then I don't see any reason why you should settle for anything less. Just remember to participate in activities outside of schoolwork, if you're hoping to stand out.

The problem I'm having is that I don't know what extracurriculars I need to do to be considered a good applicant. This might be more for college than med school, I'm not sure, but I plan on getting involved in a lot of academic competitions in high school. Examples include Model UN and PJAS(a science fair type competition) Would being involved in a few of those for a couple years fail to compare with something like being in a student council or tutoring children at a local elementary school?

You're hardcore! 😀 In my opinion, Model UN and PJAS are more highly valued, especially if you do well. I'm also going to throw out there that a summer job wouldn't be amiss either. And even if you aren't in student council, find a leadership position in another school club...such as HOSA, Honors Society, or FBLA. As for tutoring, my honors society allows high schoolers to tutor younger children for volunteer hours, so that might be worth looking into.

As for the AP question, I was wondering if it is a wise choice to submit the test scores to the college. The reason I was wondering this is because I will probably be taking AP Biology and AP Chemistry and if I submit them to the college, that will either give me only one semester or no semester of these classes. The classes are important for the MCAT though, so would it be better for me to just not send the scores and take the classes at the college so I can get a thorough knowledge of these subjects? Is it even possible for me to send in all the scores but those?

I'm actually wondering the same thing right now. Anyone?

Keep in mind I'm still in high school and have yet to schedule all my classes, but I'm curious as to what would make me a competitive applicant into an accelerated BS/MD program. My current plans are to take all honors(gifted, if it being a gifted class matters at all) classes and then all AP classes in 11th and 12th grade, all with A's. Would that make me likely to get into one of those programs, or do I have to have something else? I also got something like a 1000 in math and critical reading when I took the SATs in 7th grade, so I'd imagine I'll be able to get 2000+ when I take them again.

Wow are you getting an early start. IF through taking all AP classes you can become valedictorian (or at least top 2%) of your school and still have time for extracurriculars (because trust me, EVERYONE has a high GPA...you need to stand out), then go ahead and try that. Looking up criteria for some accelerated programs is a good idea, so you have a set goal to aim for.
 
What grade are you in? Freshman? Soph? Junior? Senior?

Good luck taking that many APs but yes that will help making you look "different" Sending the scores would be up to you. I haven't decided if I'm sending mine yet. I could retake the courses and allow for some cushion room in my GPA but I'm not sure. If you are taking a ton of AP classes I suppose I would suggest you to send the scores because that would suck to re-take all of those courses.

What ECs are you in now? do what interests you

Sounds like you're a freshy or a soph. and the best advice I can give you as a senior is don't worry about college as much right now! I have worried about college since freshmen year and it was a horrible mistake... yeah prepare for college.. get good grades.. take classes that interest you... join clubs that interest you, but don't become ooberly invoved yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The problem I'm having is that I don't know what extracurriculars I need to do to be considered a good applicant. This might be more for college than med school, I'm not sure, but I plan on getting involved in a lot of academic competitions in high school. Examples include Model UN and PJAS(a science fair type competition) Would being involved in a few of those for a couple years fail to compare with something like being in a student council or tutoring children at a local elementary school?

I applied and got accepted into a BS/MD program at the University of Miami and I met with a counsellor there since my junior year. We had real conversations and he said that its obvious when kids join every academic society their senior year to look good for college. If you are starting hs then its a good idea to join now. He also said to do an extracurricular in which you take an active role or progress thru the years, i.e. freshmen sport, jv sport then varsity sport etc.

As for the AP question, I was wondering if it is a wise choice to submit the test scores to the college. The reason I was wondering this is because I will probably be taking AP Biology and AP Chemistry and if I submit them to the college, that will either give me only one semester or no semester of these classes. The classes are important for the MCAT though, so would it be better for me to just not send the scores and take the classes at the college so I can get a thorough knowledge of these subjects? Is it even possible for me to send in all the scores but those?

I would send the scores. In most cases you have the option to retake core MCAT classes if you want, and you can withhold certain test scores from your grade report but it does cost you extra money 😡

Keep in mind I'm still in high school and have yet to schedule all my classes, but I'm curious as to what would make me a competitive applicant into an accelerated BS/MD program. My current plans are to take all honors(gifted, if it being a gifted class matters at all) classes and then all AP classes in 11th and 12th grade, all with A's. Would that make me likely to get into one of those programs, or do I have to have something else? I also got something like a 1000 in math and critical reading when I took the SATs in 7th grade, so I'd imagine I'll be able to get 2000+ when I take them again.

I'd say just doing some leadership stuff your 1st 2 years, and then try and get an internship or research at a hospital your junior and senior year. My junior summer I shadowed an opthalmologist (yeah it was awkward to send him a letter to ask him if I could, but he was honored that I wanted to shadow him and he said that doctors enjoy it as long as they aren't too busy) and then my senior summer I researched at a hospital near me. Those two things stood out on my interview and the interviewer was really impressed with the clinical experience I already had, as I described a research project that we did in Orlando and compared it to a similar one that they were doing in Miami. The grades/SAT just get you the interview, and then they basically clean the slate and its based on your interview and way you handle yourself.
 
BS/MD programs are very very hard to get into. Just work hard and get medical experience and you'll stand a good chance.
 
What grade are you in? Freshman? Soph? Junior? Senior?

Good luck taking that many APs but yes that will help making you look "different" Sending the scores would be up to you. I haven't decided if I'm sending mine yet. I could retake the courses and allow for some cushion room in my GPA but I'm not sure. If you are taking a ton of AP classes I suppose I would suggest you to send the scores because that would suck to re-take all of those courses.

What ECs are you in now? do what interests you

Sounds like you're a freshy or a soph. and the best advice I can give you as a senior is don't worry about college as much right now! I have worried about college since freshmen year and it was a horrible mistake... yeah prepare for college.. get good grades.. take classes that interest you... join clubs that interest you, but don't become ooberly invoved yet.

Yeah I'm going to be a Freshman next year. Really early to start thinking about this stuff, but I'd still like to get a headstart. I'm not really in too many ECs right now, it's essentially band and hockey. What do you think about being in student council? I was thinking of joining that and I've heard that it looks really nice applying for colleges.

Thanks for answering my questions everyone.
 
Yeah I'm going to be a Freshman next year. Really early to start thinking about this stuff, but I'd still like to get a headstart. I'm not really in too many ECs right now, it's essentially band and hockey. What do you think about being in student council? I was thinking of joining that and I've heard that it looks really nice applying for colleges.

Thanks for answering my questions everyone.

hmmm well okay but still take some time to enjoy high school... I mean you're ONLY a freshman. Its cliche but keep your options open. I'm a senior and I'm still keeping my options open. When I was a freshy, I wanted to be a lawyer! haha. If literally you haven't entered high school yet... just don't worry about med school.

I was in student council for one year. I didn't like it because what we wanted and what we did didn't make a difference... unless you were maybe president. I didn't like that even in student government as a representive I didn't have much say so I dropped it. Band is good... takes a ton of time. Hockey is my favorite sport... wish I could have played... but I figure skate... for fun. Umm... I'm not sure what clubs your school has but through my high school I have been involved in cultural exchange club, spanish club, philosophy club, amnesty international, student council, and forensics (biggie- so much time!)
 
Yeah I'm going to be a Freshman next year. Really early to start thinking about this stuff, but I'd still like to get a headstart. I'm not really in too many ECs right now, it's essentially band and hockey. What do you think about being in student council? I was thinking of joining that and I've heard that it looks really nice applying for colleges.

Thanks for answering my questions everyone.

I'm an avid member of the Student Government Association at my school. I don't know how it is in other schools, but it is a HUGE time commitment. I don't have weekends anymore - they belong to SGA. xD It's really fun, and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but don't do it just so it looks good on your college app. Do it because you actually want to be involved.
 
Don't worry about college so much now. Just wait til your junior year to start talking to your counselor and they should help you now. enjoy your freshman and sophomore years and don't stress over college. You'll enjoy school more. I'm starting to research now in my junior year so take it slow.