Questions about getting an MA in clinical psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExpressYourself

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked for any old threads about this, but couldn't find the exact information I need. All what I want to do is mainly is practice therapy and possibly own a private practice, and some of my classmates are saying that spending 100K+ on a PsyD isn't worth it when an MA can do the same thing? Is it true that MA's can even do testing (as long as it's supervised by a clinical psychologist)? I will admit that money is one of the reasons why I wanted the PsyD, BUT what's the highest a masters-level therapist can make exactly? I'm also starting to hear that a brand new PsyD won't be making much and might even be making the same as a masters-level clinician when they graduate (another reason why it's not worth it to spend 100K in my opinion). Is it true that MA job opportunities aren't as abundant? How many years would an MA have to work before getting into a private practice?

While I heard an MSW is better than MA, I'm already stuck in a clinical psychology program and am a few semesters from fulfilling my school's MA requirements anyhow.

I am a Psy.D student and have been mainly researching into what psychologists can do, and I don't know much about what opportunities I have with an MA or becoming an LCPC.

I don't think I am in a position to stay in my PsyD program for another 3 years or so, and it would be quicker to just leave with my MA. If worst comes worst, I could just go back to a doctoral program in the future (hopefully something that is better financially for me).

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

This really does vary by state. If you let us know what state you'd like to practice in, we can help you track down the website of the appropriate licensing board (you'll want the board that licenses Licensed Clinical Professional Counsellors, or Psychological Assistants-- it'll be something along that line). You can browse the website or contact the licensing board to determine the requirements for licensure and what kinds of activities you will be licensed to practice independently or under the supervision of a registered psychologist.

This really does vary by state. If you let us know what state you'd like to practice in, we can help you track down the website of the appropriate licensing board (you'll want the board that licenses Licensed Clinical Professional Counsellors, or Psychological Assistants-- it'll be something along that line). You can browse the website or contact the licensing board to determine the requirements for licensure and what kinds of activities you will be licensed to practice independently or under the supervision of a registered psychologist.

I live in Illinois.

Reading about other states would be helpful as well, because I'm willing to relocate.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. I want to do is mainly is practice therapy and possibly own a private practice

This can be done at the Masters or Doctoral level.

2. ...a PsyD isn't worth it when an MA can do the same thing?

Wrong. Doctoral level people can do everything a Masters level person can do, but not vice versa. Doctoral level people also have the opportunity to teach, do full battery assessments, are more likely to be in supervisory roles, etc.

3. Is it true that MA's can even do testing (as long as it's supervised by a clinical psychologist)?

Not exactly. They can administer some assessments if they are properly trained, but interpretation and ultimate responsibility is done by the clinical psychologist. Assessment Psych Techs don't get paid well, so I'd look elsewhere.

4. what's the highest a masters-level therapist can make exactly?

It all depends on what the market allows. Insurance reimbursement is less at the MS level, though if you do a cash pay private practice you can charge whatever you'd like. Salaried jobs also pay more for doctorally trained professionals, though they tend to be more administrative/supervisory. There is a growing trend of MS level people being the service providers for therapy, but there are opportunities if you want to at the doctoral level.

5. I'm also starting to hear that a brand new PsyD won't be making much and might even be making the same as a masters-level clinician when they graduate.

huh? That is incorrect.

6. Is it true that MA job opportunities aren't as abundant?

It all depends on the licensure (LMHC, LSW, LCSW, etc). I'm a supporter of social work because there seems to be more opportunities in quasi-gov't and gov't jobs because of the administrative training that you can receive in (some) SW programs.

7. How many years would an MA have to work before getting into a private practice?

Once they are licensed, they can start....though they need to build up their practice just like everyone else. Most people take a job and build up their private practice as they go. Some people can move into a spot at a multi-person practice, but that is much less common.

8. While I heard an MSW is better than MA, I'm already stuck in a clinical psychology program and am a few semesters from fulfilling my school's MA requirements anyhow.

You will most likely run into licensing problems, as the MS you receive en route (which is what most are that are granted during doctoral training) is not meant for licensure, and you'd probably need to transfer those credits into another program and take additional classes. Not all MA/MS classes are created equal, as the licensing requirements can vary greatly.

-t

At least at the school I go to, they waive tuition and give you a living stipend to get a Ph.D. Why pay to get a masters when you can get paid to get a doctorate that will ultimately lead to more autonomy and more money?

Students receive the following financial package throughout their tenure in the program:
  • Graduate Research Associateship title
  • Full tuition waiver
  • Single student comprehensive health insurance
  • Annual stipend (currently $22,000 USD)

At least at the school I go to, they waive tuition and give you a living stipend to get a Ph.D. Why pay to get a masters when you can get paid to get a doctorate that will ultimately lead to more autonomy and more money?

Students receive the following financial package throughout their tenure in the program:
  • Full tuition waiver

I'm in a Psy.D program, and got rejected from Ph.D programs when I applied a few years ago.

I was going to reapply this year, but couldn't due to a multitude of personal reasons (let's just say it had to with money, not being able to get my masters as early as I thought I would, screwing up with class sequences, etc). If I stop at my MA, I could go back to get a Ph.D later on. I'm just scared of being rejected, because they're so competitive.

• Full tuition waiver

Not everyone can get accepted into a doctoral program, so some elect the master's route in order to better parts of their applications to doctoral programs later on.

For the record, not everyone pays to get their master's degrees either. Programs do exist that provide one with tuition waivers & stipends. :smuggrin:

Not everyone can get accepted into a doctoral program, so some elect the master's route in order to better parts of their applications to doctoral programs later on.

For the record, not everyone pays to get their master's degrees either. Programs do exist that provide one with tuition waivers & stipends. :smuggrin:

Jealous! :) My school doesn't do that. I'm applying to a neuroscience Ph.D program as it is very behavior neuroscience/psychology based. If I don't get in and decide to get a masters degree, what would you suggest it be in? We don't have anything specially to do with neuroscience here.

are there any programs in new york that you know about that provide these stipends or tuition wavers for masters?

My friend is a PhD research psychologist who has lost the drive to continue research, but she still enjoys teaching. She wants to get involved in the clinical side of things. I am a psychiatry resident and would like to have someone to help with my therapy referals when I finish my post-doc training. So, would it be practical for her to get a MA is clinical counseling and then give up academia? Thanks for the input.

Your friend should look into respecialization programs-- they're probably a better bet than the M.A. Here's a link to one that I know of (at UMass) that does a pretty good job of explaining the typical process and timeframe. :) If she does apply, she should talk to graduates of the respecialization programs she's considering.

http://www.umass.edu/psychology/div4/main/respecialization.html

therapist4change!
yours are very helpful. here in our country, having MA or PhD in Clinical Psych will do not much to the person. Most of the people I came to know are either working as a professor, consultant and research. We do not have so mcuh opportunity here for practicing clinician though I presume there is really a need.

I took a volunteer work after graduation in a state hospital. We were the ones who assessed, give the test and also interpret the result. IS this really allowed professionally speaking?

More so, this is my first time to hear about the licensure exam you mentioned. In our country, I do not think we have like that. None that I heard of. What we know is that when you have or is having MA in CLinical Psych, you can alreadyadminister and interpret test.

Hope you could provide me more information. Thank you.

I took a volunteer work after graduation in a state hospital. We were the ones who assessed, give the test and also interpret the result. IS this really allowed professionally speaking?

Under our ethics codes in the US that wouldn't be allowed, unless the person was under the direct supervision of a licensed clinician who is familiar with the assessments. Typically the person is trained on the instrument and they administer it to the patients, and then the results are presented to the supervisor. Sometimes the person will write up a preliminary report to be reviewed by the supervisor, and other times the data is provided to the supervisor for them to include in a larger assessment report.

The laws (which are different than the ethics code) of each state can have some differences...so everything is up to the law, while still being liable to ethical violations. If you break the law you can be brought up on charges by the state licensing board, if you break an ethics code, you can be brought up on violations by the professional board.

Many licensed clinicians use people with masters to handle their assessments, and then they review them...it is a common way to make a lot of extra money, though it is important that they review them closely, as they are ultimately signing their name to the documents and can be held liable if anything is done incorrectly.