Questions about going back to school for DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another thread about going back to school. quick back history, graduated marymount university with a BA in Health Fitness Mgt. I've been in the fitness industry for over 12 years now as a CPT. Over the years I've had the great opportunity to work with PT's and Chiros, both good and bad. the bad I've sent to the good ones, and yes I know where to find them.

I find myself back to where I was when I started at Marymount. Interested in getting my DPT. back then (grad '01) the outlook for salary/work was not good; so i was told. Now it's quite different.

I am a 30 something y.o. father of two kids, 6 and 8. I work in the corp. health promotion field now, love my job but don't see myself there in 5 years.

My concern is dropping the needed income for 3 years to go back to school. I was speaking with an OT who suggested a bridge program? Suggested going in for my PTA degree, starting work somewhere and then start a bridge program.

This way I'd still be able to work and bring in the needed income and work towards my DPT.

she also spoke of "free money" that was out there by local companies offering grants, etc.... she didn't pay for school, she was able to get it paid for through these grants. Not too clear on that one.

So my questions:
1. bridge program? worth it? or waste of time?
2. grants, etc??
3. reading someone elses post I'm curious about the GRE and is this something I'd need to take?

Members don't see this ad.

common, 58 views and no input? Please help me out here....:)

I'm not sure about a bridge program or grants, but I do think that if you are passionate about being a PT, then go for it! I feel as if physical therapy is a rewarding field that encompasses everything one would want in a career.

You will have to take the GRE as part of the prerequisites for applying. Most people just buy a Kaplan or Princeton Review book to study for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the input! believe me I'd love to just go for it, but going down to 1 income for 3 years could be quite a challenge.

this is one major hurdle I have to work on.

FYI according to the APTA website here:
http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=CAPTE3&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=49543

There are only 2 bridge programs...

I am in my first year of DPT school and I'm 39. If you want to do it, then just go for it - really - I know it's complicated financially and there are sacrifices, but life is too short to let $ stop you from your dream and to say what if... We have 3 married persons in my program btw. It can be done. Best of luck with your decision. Also if I am not mistaken, to get PTA it's 2 years. My DPT program is 2.5 - so from that perspective as well, it's not necessarily the best route - but $ and stability are important, only you know what you and your family can handle.