lanashif

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
Hi everyone! I was wondering what kind of questions were asked during an interview. Are they hard and do you need to practice for them, or is a more relaxed and less rehearsed way better? How is the atmosphere during the interview? Is it tense and slightly awkward because the interview could decide your future or is it more laid-back? Thanks.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Extremely odd questions to come from a fellow, haven't you done bazillions of interviews already?????

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2007
Ischioanal fossa
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SO you are a HS student and not a fellow, so I'll answer your questions.

Interviews try to see how well/much you have thought about ur future career/interest in medicine. They sometimes want to know about ur background and experiences and how they have prepared you for life as a doctor. They like to see that you've successfully managed multiple responsibilities (school, work, volunteering etc) and how well you perform under stress (u're almost guaranteed this question @ some point).

Another important aspect of interview is to guage your personality, are u comfortable talking with strangers, are you sociable, do you communicate well, what's ur thought process like etc etc..

Atmosphere varies from laid-back informal, to rigid/structure to tense. Some interviewers like to put you o the spot to see how u respond to challenge/stress..

Best way to prepare is to read up on onterviewing skills (google), read up on current health articles and the school and do mock interviews...

Best of luck

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
True... are you really a fellow?

Anyway, just to answer your question. Check on the interview feedback section of SDN for samples of questions from schools you are interested in applying to.

The atmosphere of the interviews is extremely variable. Some schools favor a relaxed interview and have in place mechanisms to avoid interviewers carrying out what are called "stress interviews". Other schools do not, and so an interviewee would be at greater risk of finding him/herself face to face with a jackass. After school trends, there is also the random component of the person who will interview you. Their style is bound to be a matter of personal preference. Confrontational types will like to ask hard questions and put the interviewees in really awkward situations to see how they react, because they might deem this to be an important characteristic to know in order to assess an applicant. Other more relaxed interviewers can feel like they get a better idea of the character and motivations of an interviewee by conducting a relatively stress-free interview and asking questions nicely.

Basically, it will depend largely on the specific schools, and then on who happens to interview you there (which can be hard to find out before hand).

PS. Yes, you should prepare for interviews. Reading the usual questions and having good answers to them is a basic you should have. After that, shortly before your interviews, you should do mocks and even try to film yourself so you can see what you look like. These drills are a really good way to learn to manage anxiety/nerves. Lastly, although you would be at an advantage having thought about responses to habitual questions, you don't want to sound rehearsed. An obviously canned response detracts from perceived sincerity, so strive for a balance between over and under-preparation. Good luck!

Last edited:

lanashif

7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2010
Status
I'm not a fellow, so I don't know why it says I am. Does anyone know how to remove that? lol. I am a high school student though. Thanks for the answers, they really helped.