Questions about just taking the AP exams...

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. If I just take the AP exams and not the classes will this benefit me? For instance, my school doesn't offer an AP chemistry class, but I could still take the exam. If I do well on the exam will it help me? Will I still have to take chemistry in college?

2. If you pass an AP exam how are you graded on college? Does it just count as a "pass" for that course or do they actually give you the grade that you got in high school?

3. I heard that often even if you pass the AP exam and get college credit you want to take the classes if they are premed reqs anyway. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

1. If I just take the AP exams and not the classes will this benefit me? For instance, my school doesn't offer an AP chemistry class, but I could still take the exam. If I do well on the exam will it help me? Will I still have to take chemistry in college?

2. If you pass an AP exam how are you graded on college? Does it just count as a "pass" for that course or do they actually give you the grade that you got in high school?

3. I heard that often even if you pass the AP exam and get college credit you want to take the classes if they are premed reqs anyway. Is this true?

1. Yes, it can sometimes help to take the AP in chemistry, but it is a waste of time and money unless you know for certain that you will do well. Many colleges will give you credit for intro chemistry courses if you receive a passing grade on the AP exam.

2. It depends. You usually will not receive a letter grade. Check with the colleges you are applying to.

3. Again, it depends. I have heard of schools that will accept AP credit for prerequisites, although there may also be schools that require you to take the college course for a letter grade.

Last edited:

1) Yes. You will have gained a better understanding of Gen Chem I and Gen Chem II on the college level by taking it. However, it's highly recommended that you take chem again in college since you will need a strong base in it for the MCAT.

2) AP credit does not factor into my GPA, but the classes which it counts for on my transcript are listed as "AP credit"

3) Yes. See #1

Members don't see this ad :)
lets say if you got college credits from the AP chem exam, can you still take the classes that you were exempted from (general chem)?