Questions about Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Livineasi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. what's the school calendar like? when do you start each year? When and how long are breaks? Is there a summer break for each year?

2. Can you become a resident and get in-state tuition after the first year?

3. My boyfriend will be moving with me, we are coming from Los Angeles - will he be able to get a job or is unemployment there just too rampant?

4. Are there any major Cons to attending Michigan?

Thanks so much for your answers!!

Members don't see this ad.

1) http://www.dent.umich.edu/about/aboutschool/academic_cal.php

Click on the links for the individual quarters and you can get the answer to all those questions.

2) No. They come right out and tell you that in the interview.

3) No clue (I don't go there).

4) I seriously considered Michigan last cycle and thus did a lot of research into the program. There were no major cons or fatal flaws that I could find when talking with students and faculty. A SDN member who currently attends there could help you identify areas of improvement. The only minor things I noticed (aside from the many pros)were a pretty rigorous first 2 years as compared with other schools, a little more on the competitive side, straight grading with + and -, and it gets cold a few days out of the year ;).

1. what's the school calendar like? when do you start each year? When and how long are breaks? Is there a summer break for each year?

2. Can you become a resident and get in-state tuition after the first year?

3. My boyfriend will be moving with me, we are coming from Los Angeles - will he be able to get a job or is unemployment there just too rampant?

4. Are there any major Cons to attending Michigan?

Thanks so much for your answers!!

I'm a 4th year at Michigan, we got ~10inches of snow yesterday, I hope you don't mind driving in the snow.
1) The only real "break" is between 1st and 2nd year, ~ 6 weeks long (in july/august), b/t 2nd and 3rd year you get ~3 weeks in May, b/t 3rd and 4th year you get ~2 weeks in May. Every year you also get ~2 weeks for Christmas break.

2) No, you will never get the in-state tuition

3) Ann Arbor does not suffer from the same employment problems as the rest of Michigan. It may be tough but if he has a degree/experience it shouldn't be to hard

4) It snowed 10 inches yesterday, literally. Its 18 degrees out today, Fahrenheit. Other than that I've really enjoyed it here, great clinical experience, it was tough didactically but if you want to specialize and do well in your classes/boards UMich has a good reputation.