Questions about pathology residency programs / rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebuilteva

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of finalizing my rank list, and I had some questions about specific aspects of certain programs, as well as the pathology job market.

Specifically, I'm considering ranking a program in NYC #1 (Mount Sinai Hospital), but I had some reservations; I attend medical school in another part of the United States, but did undergrad in the Northeast, and have family members who live there. I'm strongly interested in living in NYC, but wasn't sure about the implications of choosing Sinai on the job search.

The specific questions that I had were whether going to NYC for residency "would hurt my chances" with respect to going back to my home state in the job search (a), and if it were still realistic to aim for a NYC fellowship program / job if I ranked another well-regarded program in my home state (UTSW) #1, but still wanted to go to NYC for fellowship (b). Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had direct experience with the residency programs at UTSW vs. Mount Sinai (the main hospital), and could comment on how the resident experience differs at both programs (c).

Thank you so much!
Some M4 medical student

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of finalizing my rank list, and I had some questions about specific aspects of certain programs, as well as the pathology job market.

Specifically, I'm considering ranking a program in NYC #1 (Mount Sinai Hospital), but I had some reservations; I attend medical school in another part of the United States, but did undergrad in the Northeast, and have family members who live there. I'm strongly interested in living in NYC, but wasn't sure about the implications of choosing Sinai on the job search.

The specific questions that I had were whether going to NYC for residency "would hurt my chances" with respect to going back to my home state in the job search (a), and if it were still realistic to aim for a NYC fellowship program / job if I ranked another well-regarded program in my home state (UTSW) #1, but still wanted to go to NYC for fellowship (b). Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had direct experience with the residency programs at UTSW vs. Mount Sinai (the main hospital), and could comment on how the resident experience differs at both programs (c).

Thank you so much!
Some M4 medical student
You sound confused and you got me confused reading your post.

Go wherever you will feel happiest. Go where you will get the best training. This is your career and you don’t want to suck after you finish 4 years of residency. I think it’s definitely possible to get a fellowship or a job in another state even though you did residency elsewhere. You might miss out on some local jobs because you aren’t in the area.

You got to decide where you want to eventually live. Texas or NYC. NYC general surgpath jobs are low paying (250k starting) according to a friend who just finished his job search. After subtracting for the high cost of living you are probably at sub 200k, basically middle class. That’s the price you pay for living in NYC. I’m guessing dermpath jobs prob start at a higher salary.

Edit: I see you are interested in dermpath. Go to a program where there’s a dermpath fellowship as it’s insanely hard to get in if you are in a program without one. Make sure the dermpath fellowship is in the Path department and not the Dermatology department (although not the end of the world). You might want to ask around in regards to the dermpath job market in these two cities then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users