questions about pharmacy GPAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsJustMe22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys have any friends or even yourself ever recieved an interview or got accepted into pharmacy school with a 2.5? Is it possible to get into pharmacy school with such a low GPA anyway? Should we not even try to apply with tat GPA at all?

Members don't see this ad.

do a search using low GPA and limit it to the pharmacy forums and you will come up with several questions realated to your delima

i don't know about the interview thing but i'm going to say the chances are slim to none when it comes to acceptance.

Juxtapose the situation.

If you were part of the AdCom, would you take a person who submitted their application and had a 2.5 gpa? (The minimum for most schools, though most are bumping it to 2.75).

If so, what set this person a part enough that they were more attractive than the average 3.3 gpa that is usually admitted.

Now turn it back to you, what sets you a part? Or what can you do to set yourself a part?

G'luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, is it just me or it seems like a bunch of people who have sub-3.0 GPA been asking the same question lately? The truth is, if you have a sub-3.0 GPA, the chance of you getting in pharmacy school is real low. So if you think you won't get in, go take more classes to raise your GPA up. I'm sorry, it just seems to me that everybody who has a low GPA is trying to go to pharmacy school. Pharmacy school is not easy get into. Somebody needs to burst their bubbles.

goheel said:
Seriously, is it just me or it seems like a bunch of people who have sub-3.0 GPA been asking the same question lately? The truth is, if you have a sub-3.0 GPA, the chance of you getting in pharmacy school is real low. So if you think you won't get in, go take more classes to raise your GPA up. I'm sorry, it just seems to me that everybody who has a low GPA is trying to go to pharmacy school. Pharmacy school is not easy get into. Somebody needs to burst their bubbles.
and my pharmacy school was not easy once i got in either....

i came in with a 3.8+ and my GPA has not remained such....

goheel said:
I agree with goheel. The reality of the situation is that being accepted to pharmacy school is ONLY half the battle!!(Arguably even less) True, It is an accomplishment to be accepted but, if you cant cope with undergrad (since that is what your GPA will be screaming to the ADCOM)...how could you possibly expect to deal with Pharm school, Med school et al. ?? Especially with the added pressure of "If you mess up in the real world, someone might die; you might lose your licence, you might go to jail... and all of the unpleasant things that go along wit' dis!!!" Hey its not like I have stellar grades myself, Im trying to rectify mistakes I made almost ten years ago (did I ACTUALLY think that I could party or pledge till 3 am and STILL do well on that ORGO exam at 9 'o clock!?...I must've been smokin that good a$$ sticky-icky!! :smuggrin: (If I could remember :confused: )The point is this: In stead of asking "what are my chances of getting into pharm school w/ a sub 3.0 GPA, what you should be asking is "what do I need to do to be accepted?" Of course thats just my opinion I could be wrong :D

And have a nice day.

Yeah, a lot of people often fall into the trap of being A hungry. I mean, you kind of have to be if you want to get into Pharmacy school since many of them look really high upon a high GPA but that's not all there is to it. You can make an A in a class but not learn a thing in there, as I've experienced lately it seems.

Get into the mindset where you're there to learn. If you start off with that on mind, then everything else should fall into place. Besides, from what I've heard, once you're in Pharmacy school, the real battle begins to stay in Pharmacy school.

Don't get discouraged... we all have our bad semesters. :eek: Hang in there and try to raise it. :) So proud to say that I worked my buns off and I brought my GPA up .2! If I can do it, you can too!

My science prerequisiste GPA is 3.24 right now. Do you think that is high enough to be accepted into a pharmacy school?

RLK said:
My science prerequisiste GPA is 3.24 right now. Do you think that is high enough to be accepted into a pharmacy school?

Yes, you could be accepted. Yes, you can be denied. But it's not just about your GPA! Do a search.. trust me this question has been asked a million times. No one can really determine if you can get in or not but the admissions board. If you want to get into pharmacy school, you'll get in. (even if takes a few years...) :)

ItsJustMe22 said:
I was wondering if any of you guys have any friends or even yourself ever recieved an interview or got accepted into pharmacy school with a 2.5? Is it possible to get into pharmacy school with such a low GPA anyway? Should we not even try to apply with tat GPA at all?

Guys. Please. Stop. Asking. This.

This is the reason my interest in forums like this diminishes so rapidly. Search first before asking terribly asinine questions like these --- at the very least it will spare you the embarrassment of getting chewed out on threads like these.

Please do your homework. This forum is no substitution for the opinions of an adcom. You can't honestly expect complete strangers who know nothing else about you other than a single number to gauge your chances of success in getting into a Pharm.D. program. Adcoms look at so many other things. PCATs (if they accept it). ECs. Experience. Recommendations. Essays. You know what the answer to your question is, and you're just looking for someone to try and persuade you that that is not the case.

Here's the harsh reality. A 2.5 GPA is not very good at all. Mediocre at best. Why do you have such a low GPA? Is a 2.5 the best you can do, or is it the result of slacking off?

You need to talk to your school of choice and gauge the situation for yourself, and you need to ask yourself why you're even interested in "doing pharmacy" to begin with. In my personal opinion, someone with such a low GPA lacks the desire and energy required of someone who desires to be successful in pharmacy school and beyond. Being a "bad student" isn't a good excuse either. I know plenty of people who consider themselves to be poor students and still manage to hold GPAs over 3.0. I don't know of anyone who has gotten into pharmacy school with a 2.5. The lowest I know of is a 3.1, and she barely made it. Because of the sheer volume of applications received by lots of schools, many use GPAs as discriminating factors in terms of whether or not they even extend an interview to you. So, your other "redeeming" qualities may not even matter.

I apologize that this response is not as sympathetic as the OP is probably looking for. I am not worried about applying to pharmacy school. I know for a fact that pharmacy is what I want to do, and my credentials reflect that; I've worked hard to get where I am, just like many other folks on this forum. Naturally, we're more likely to be defensive about telling someone with substandard credentials that they will have the same chances and opportunities that we do (did), because it's just not true.

RLK said:

THE SEARCH FUNCTION IS A WONDERFUL TOOL! :mad: