Questions about pre-req's & BSc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gochi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Im confused about the pre-req's one needs to take in order to get into dentistry school ,in the state.

Is a Bachelor degree a reuirement, or can you take random science courses which add upto 90 credits at the end ?

Also how do yo get a bachelors degree....do you just pick specified courses...eg if I want to get a BSc in Chem, then does that mean 90% of my course load will be chem while the reaming 10% will be social science or general science ?

Again, is a Bachelors Degree a requirement, or is the 90 credits good enough ?

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

I take it your probably in high school?

Most schools "recommend" a bachelors degree. There are a few schools who won't take you if you don't have one.

However, for those schools that will take you with 90 hours, all you need is atleast 30 upper division hours...anything 300 and up. To my knowledge ochem is the only pre-req that meets the 300 and up, atleast at my school. Ochem with lab is usually 10 hours, so you have to fill the other 20 upper division hours. I hear that some dental schools require biochem as well. This would be another 3-4 hours of upper division requirement.

I'm putting all my eggs in one basket and applying with no bachelors degree. Assuming I do well on the DAT, I should be good to go.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a minimum requirement of 90 credits hours, but most school highly recommended (as well as req') an undergraduate degree.

The majority of those accepted have a BA degree, and that is definitely preferred. It is the rare person who is accepted after having completed 90 credits.