Questions about retaking courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seraphkz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Sorry if this has been discussed before since the search function is down, but are there any guidelines to retaking courses?

I have gotten 1 C and 1 C+ in General Biology I & II (first year college) and wondering if I can retake these courses? I heard something about "only retake courses that you got C-'s in", but I really want to bring my GPA up a little.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. Sorry if this has been discussed before since the search function is down, but are there any guidelines to retaking courses?

I have gotten 1 C and 1 C+ in General Biology I & II (first year college) and wondering if I can retake these courses? I heard something about "only retake courses that you got C-'s in", but I really want to bring my GPA up a little.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yes, you can retake those classes. Make sure that they are the same or more credit hours for the retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
B/c AACOMAS says so. It is in their instructions or information section when you are filling out the application.

are you sure about this?

I was planning on repeating a course but its 1 credit hour less that where I originally took it and did some looking around and can't find anywhere where it would be equal credit.

There is a thread that is dedicated to AACOMAS questions and it is like 12 pages long, but both of these questions are gone over in it, you just need to search through the thing.

Here is the link to that thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=606589

And it is actually 25 pages, but it is very helpful for getting ready to apply.

There is a thread that is dedicated to AACOMAS questions and it is like 12 pages long, but both of these questions are gone over in it, you just need to search through the thing.

Here is the link to that thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=606589

And it is actually 25 pages, but it is very helpful for getting ready to apply.

do you mind telling me, where on the aacomas website i can find that info?
I would love to read through all 25 pages but I kinda have an MCAT to study for

Any thoughts? Thanks.

People only say that because it can they are looking at how retaking the class will effect your GPA. These people might think it is a waste of time (and money, because you still have to pay for retakes) to retake a class that you got atleast a C in, because replacing a C with an A - or so won't effect your GPA by much.

But this varies for each student. Just do a calculation of your GPA and see how much retaking the course would increase it.

I have retaken two courses with C +'s, and it helped my GPA tremendously. I would change their little guideline to: "only retake a course if you got a C + or lower in it".

Also, your C + there is in a pre-req. Which in my opinion is more important than other classes. So I would definitely retake it if I were you.

so it turns out in order to retake my physics class, it would have to be at a community college beecause thats the only way I can get the hours to match up.

How bad is that gonna look if I retake a SINGLE class at C.C.

I should mention that I previously took physics 2 at C.C.

If I get an A, will it hurt me? because, i think the risk might be the reward as long as it can only help me and not hurt me assuming I can get an A

retake might help your chances, but if there's an opportunity to take a higher level course in the same subject (BIOL for BIOL, not BIOC for ex), you should. getting a "B" in a 400 level course is gonna impress the adcom more than getting a retake "A" in a 200 level course you've already taken, and managed to pass. upper level courses worked out better for me because the intro/premed survey courses classes are *so* broad that i always got lost.

just a thought :) good luck!

Oh thanks.. Well I've gotten 4 A's in 400 level Bio classes. But I still want to get rid of those 2 ugly C+'s. I was such a ******* in my first year =\