Questions about shadowing a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok fine its not DO specific, its DO or MD required. Same difference...

You mean you don't have an MD letter either?

Members don't see this ad.

You mean you don't have an MD letter either?

I know that I don't, which puts me out of the running even at my state schools. Which is kind of ridiculous considering my personal statement centers around my shadowing experience, but because it was through an internship offered at my school we were specifically told NOT to solicit the doctor for LOR requests :(

I don't have an MD or a DO letter yet, either! I volunteer at a hospital but was told that I should NEVER bug the doctors there about shadowing them. All the other doctors I've asked to shadow have given me a big NO so far, citing patient privacy and HIPAA. Most of them said that I can only shadow them once I am a med student - isn't that called clinical rotations? And these are doctors who have known me for years. The best advice that one of them gave me was to just become an employee at a doctor's office, even as a receptionist. THEN, the doctor that I'm working for can write me a letter. At this point, I think I'm going to take his advice. I can quit my tutoring job and look for a part-time position at a doctor's office - not just to get my letter, but it'll also benefit me if, throughout the process, I learn about the intricacies of insurance policies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have an MD or a DO letter yet, either! I volunteer at a hospital but was told that I should NEVER bug the doctors there about shadowing them. All the other doctors I've asked to shadow have given me a big NO so far, citing patient privacy and HIPAA. Most of them said that I can only shadow them once I am a med student - isn't that called clinical rotations? And these are doctors who have known me for years. The best advice that one of them gave me was to just become an employee at a doctor's office, even as a receptionist. THEN, the doctor that I'm working for can write me a letter. At this point, I think I'm going to take his advice. I can quit my tutoring job and look for a part-time position at a doctor's office - not just to get my letter, but it'll also benefit me if, throughout the process, I learn about the intricacies of insurance policies.

If you know doctors, even if you haven't shadowed them, they could still write you a letter. Just a thought.

If you know doctors, even if you haven't shadowed them, they could still write you a letter. Just a thought.

That would be a heck of a lot easier compared to looking and interviewing for a job. I guess I was thinking that since I'm already a non-science major w/ no research and without tons of clinical volunteer experience, that working at a doctor's office could give me that added experience that I need. I don't want to not be able to defend my interest in medicine at interviews, assuming I get interviewed. But if I'm down to the wire, I won't hesitate to just ask one of my family doctors to write me a letter.

Thats a great big nope.

Any ideas of what you're going to do to try and get that letter?

I'm thinking of randomly asking any physician in my area (MD or DO) and explain my situation. Have the CV/personal statement/waiver release all ready for forwarding. The worst they can say is no, right?

I am starting to panic because it's starting to get pretty late in the application cycle and my stats aren't competitive enough to be applying for what will probably just be waitlist spots in the post-Jan interviews.

Just to update on my previous post, after spamming over 40+ D.O.'s in my area I've finally gotten 2 responses to doctors who understand the importance of the LOR for getting into medschool. Long story short, I will have one letter by Friday this week and another by Tuesday next week.

1) Do I submit both letters, or have my pre-health committee choose the "best" one (and are they allowed to do that)?

2) Am I allowed to take notes during the shadowing, or does that violate patient confidentiality rules, etc.?

Thank you.

Just to update on my previous post, after spamming over 40+ D.O.'s in my area I've finally gotten 2 responses to doctors who understand the importance of the LOR for getting into medschool. Long story short, I will have one letter by Friday this week and another by Tuesday next week.

1) Do I submit both letters, or have my pre-health committee choose the "best" one (and are they allowed to do that)?

2) Am I allowed to take notes during the shadowing, or does that violate patient confidentiality rules, etc.?

Thank you.

I wouldn't recommend more than 6 LORs. If you have too many, feel free to ask the committee to choose the best one. They're allowed to do this, and many do this all the time. However, some might not be willing, so that's also a possibility.

Some docs/patients might be uncomfortable with your taking notes in the room, so ask the doc when you show up. I always found it better/more interesting to just pay attention in the room and (usually) interact with the doc/patient. Once the visit was over, I'd jot down a few notes after leaving the room.

Hey all, thanks for the advice. I used the mentor website and managed to get a letter. Now I have the go ahead to fill out secondaries.

Also in limbo I have two DO shadowing opportunities. We will see how they go.

After my initial attempt of 3 DO's failed I messaged 7 others a week later. I got a couple responses immediately. I have concluded that if a DO is able to help you out they will respond quickly. Of course there are exceptions but overall I think that is case. If after 3 days or so you do not get a response try a new group.

It looks like my shadowing opportunities might not happen. How bad would it hurt me if I have not actually shadowed a DO?

It looks like my shadowing opportunities might not happen. How bad would it hurt me if I have not actually shadowed a DO?

Probably won't keep you from getting interviews, but you might be asked about DO experience during interviews. Just tell them that you bent over backwards, but it just didn't work out. Keep trying though. They'll know you're sincere and I don't think it will be a huge deal. :thumbup:

Chocolate Bear,
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for including the mentor website. Sitting down with the DO on staff at our clinic here at school, I've gone through most of the DOs in town, without any luck. The staff guy is absolutely awesome and would write a letter but I really wanted to get some experience with other DOs.

The turn-around time for submitting the online form and getting my first contact: Less than 30 minutes!

:clap:

I suddenly feel so much better!

EDIT: By the end of 30 minutes, I had actually been contacted by 2 of the people I emailed through this program! It rocks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I shadowed a DO couple of days for a total of 10 hrs and asked for a letter. He agreed to sit down with me to talk about it. I generally don't talk about my personal life much (not that I have any thing to hide, I am just a private person I guess). It really bothered me that I had to give him my personal statement and talk about it. He asked some questions to make sure I knew how hard med school was for him. I kept feeling "geez, people that really know me would never ask how serious my intentions are because they already know". The doc was nice though but I left there feeling real weird. Why me?:mad:

I shadowed a DO couple of days for a total of 10 hrs and asked for a letter. He agreed to sit down with me to talk about it. I generally don't talk about my personal life much (not that I have any thing to hide, I am just a private person I guess). It really bothered me that I had to give him my personal statement and talk about it. He asked some questions to make sure I knew how hard med school was for him. I kept feeling "geez, people that really know me would never ask how serious my intentions are because they already know". The doc was nice though but I left there feeling real weird. Why me?:mad:
Deepa100, I'd look at that as an informal interview. You will have to discuss some personal things when it comes time to interview with adcomms. There may be things in your PS that they have questions about or want you to elaborate on. I'm interested in why you felt weird. Was it just because you don't like to talk about yourself? or was there something else that contributed?

The thing is, he doesn't know you and neither will adcomms so they will have questions that delve into finding out more about you. If you're just uncomfortable interviewing, I'd find someone you trust and who is able to provide feedback to you. Sit down with them and conduct a few mock interviews so you're comfortable with the process.

:luck:

I shadowed a DO couple of days for a total of 10 hrs and asked for a letter. He agreed to sit down with me to talk about it. I generally don't talk about my personal life much (not that I have any thing to hide, I am just a private person I guess). It really bothered me that I had to give him my personal statement and talk about it.

If you knew someone for 10 hours and then was asked to write the most convincing letter of recommendation you could possibly write for that person, wouldn't you do the same thing?

I don't know why talking about your personal statement with a DO who's trying to write a good letter for you is such a big deal. It's not a diary, correct? It was written for others to read, yes? "Others" being people who could help your application. Did this guy not qualify? I can understand if he asked what you were doing later tonight, but I don't think he crossed the line.

He asked some questions to make sure I knew how hard med school was for him. I kept feeling "geez, people that really know me would never ask how serious my intentions are because they already know". The doc was nice though but I left there feeling real weird. Why me?:mad:

But maybe he doesn't know you, and that's why he wanted to make it clear. I got the same deal from the DO I shadowed. He ranted about the litigious environment and gave me a newsletter about all the BS lawsuits doctors go through. It didn't deter me, and he made it clear that if he were in my situation he would have gone to med school anyway, but knowing what he knows now, he would've gone a different route. Don't worry about it. Bottom line is you got your letter.

Last edited:
It felt weird because I always maintained nice grades in spite of working full time in a demanding job as an engineer and having a kid etc. But it seemed to me that he did not think I could handle med school because I am a mom and an older applicant. Hope I am wrong. May be I am wrong.

I am not exactly a spring chicken so, I have done my share of interviews and I do not get nervous BTW.

If you knew someone for 10 hours and then was asked to write the most convincing letter of recommendation you could possibly write for that person, wouldn't you do the same thing?

Agreed. The DO I knew was more than happy to write me a LOR, but he wanted me to send him both my personal statement and a copy of my resume so he would have stuff to write about. Makes perfect sense too.

It felt weird because I always maintained nice grades in spite of working full time in a demanding job as an engineer and having a kid etc. But it seemed to me that he did not think I could handle med school because I am a mom and an older applicant. Hope I am wrong. May be I am wrong.

I am not exactly a spring chicken so, I have done my share of interviews and I do not get nervous BTW.

Eh, he wrote the letter.

If he truly thought that he could have refused.

Eh, he wrote the letter.

If he truly thought that he could have refused.
Thanks! FYI, he has not written the letter yet. I hope he will because another DO I shadowed before him also said he would but never did...

Thanks! FYI, he has not written the letter yet. I hope he will because another DO I shadowed before him also said he would but never did...

That's awful! So did he end up sending the letter? And did you ever follow up with the other DO who said he would but never did? (email, phone call, etc.?)

That's awful! So did he end up sending the letter? And did you ever follow up with the other DO who said he would but never did? (email, phone call, etc.?)

Yep. Now I am after the 3 rd. DO, he sounds more promising...