wisconsin2468

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
Hi, guys,

I was wondering if any of you CS veterans have advice about preparing for the Step 2 CS. I haven't been on the wards since pre-interview season (Oct), and I know I'm rusty. What books do you guys recommend? (I've heard good and bad things about 1st Aid.) And how much time would you recommend to prepare? How did you guys make sure you were efficient - it seems like there isn't a lot of time to take a Hx and do a PEX, plus write up the note. Thanks for reading!

camry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
Status
I think First Aid for CS is a great book. It took me a few days to get through it and learn it well, and it was especially helpful for the differential dx and diagnostic tests included in each PN at my exam. I don't think timing is a huge issue as long as you don't ask many open-ended questions and work up the main complaint efficiently. First Aid gives a good time breakdown for the history, PE and patient education - 7-8 mins for history, 3-5 mins for PE, and a couple minutes at the end to explain likely dx'es and further tests to the patient.

scootad.

15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2001
Visit site
Status
Yes, First Aid is terrific for CS. (and in general, I have to say the entire franchise of First Aid is genius). It took me about a week to go through the entire book thoroughly. I agree that the cases were very similar to the ones in First Aid and the sample PNs, workups and diff dx were invaluable. I took CS last weekend after not having seen a patient since the end of October and First Aid got me through it.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
you'd think time would be an issue, but it really isn't. the problems are focused and very easy. it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes for the entire H&P, then another 5-10 for the note. you don't need any preparation -- if you've finished 3rd year you'll be fine. good luck.

dlung

Postprelim intern oranges
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
My last real rotation was in Oct. I took my CS in early Feb. All I did to prepare was skim First Aid at the bookstore for about 20 minutes.

I felt pretty good about passing... but I suppose I won't know for another couple months...

Furrball

Faking sincerity daily
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pacific NW
Status
Being semi-concious during three and a half years of medical school was more than enough preparation. Just treat each patient encounter as if it is a real patient. :thumbup:

Obedeli

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Furrball said:
Being semi-concious during three and a half years of medical school was more than enough preparation. Just treat each patient encounter as if it is a real patient. :thumbup:
This is true, but I would like to add that there are certain "musts" for each visit and first aid does a great job in detailing what is expected above and beyond your basic clinical skills. Remember, each SP has a checklist and I have seen on this forum AOA- top of the class people that have failed this test. :eek: Don't take it too lightly.

Furrball

Faking sincerity daily
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pacific NW
Status
Obedeli said:
This is true, but I would like to add that there are certain "musts" for each visit and first aid does a great job in detailing what is expected above and beyond your basic clinical skills. Remember, each SP has a checklist and I have seen on this forum AOA- top of the class people that have failed this test. :eek: Don't take it too lightly.
Maybe I'm going to get flamed for this.... nomex/kevlar suit on. There are some people I know who are AOA who are great, others I wouldn't let near a dead dog. :smuggrin: There is more to becoming a physician than maxing out tests and being popular. :p

If you treat each patient as if they were real, and then generate a broad DDx and ask open ended questions then it should go o.k. If you had a solid medicine experience, they are not going to throw anything to far off at you.

Maybe I should just be glad that I have been through eight OSCE's during the first three years of medical school. After the fourth or fifith you really stop worrying about checklists. ;)

Obedeli

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Furrball said:
Maybe I'm going to get flamed for this.... nomex/kevlar suit on. There are some people I know who are AOA who are great, others I wouldn't let near a dead dog. :smuggrin: There is more to becoming a physician than maxing out tests and being popular. :p

If you treat each patient as if they were real, and then generate a broad DDx and ask open ended questions then it should go o.k. If you had a solid medicine experience, they are not going to throw anything to far off at you.

Maybe I should just be glad that I have been through eight OSCE's during the first three years of medical school. After the fourth or fifith you really stop worrying about checklists. ;)
HOW DARE YOU BLAST AOA :eek:

:D
Yes, I agree about what you said with AOA. As for your plan, it sounds great. What I have been trying to point out is that if you only treat this as a "real patient" you may have some problems. This is a test patient. I just think it is a good idea to cover your a** and spend one hour reading step 2 cs. I am not suggesting getting a practice buddy or spending hours at night thinking about it or learning ddx for certain symptoms and questions to ask (obviously a student should know all this already). I am just recommending a little supplementation to know what the ivory tower NBME pointy heads are looking for in the exam. It is just in my nature to not allow myself to take anything for granted.

BTW I too have had plenty of OSCEs and did well in all of them and yes I passed this thing too.

D

drcherukuri

USMlE world material is very good for getting through CS.It took me hardly 10days to read that and i cleared it.
u can get that from this website usmleworld.com or u can get a copy if any of ur friends have that
good luck

Obedeli

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
drcherukuri said:
It took me hardly 10days to read that and i cleared it
:eek:

Now Furball, I want you to know I don't mean for 10 DAYS!!

Furrball

Faking sincerity daily
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pacific NW
Status
Obedeli said:
:eek:

Now Furball, I want you to know I don't mean for 10 DAYS!!
Studying for 10 days? Wow that might actually decrease my CAGE score :smuggrin: