Questions about the Application Process.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slick90210

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.....
So I've been hearing a lot of talk lately about people submitting their applications. I have a few simple questions.

So for a first time applicant (currently going into 3rd year) I should have my application finished by this time next year (summer going into 4th year)
Does that mean I am forced to take my DAT this year and submit it regardless of my scores? I am currently living in Canada so it is only offered in Nov. and Feb.

And a question about my grades. First year my GPA was really low and second year I achieved a very solid GPA. I expect to achieve similar grades 3rd and 4th year but my problem is... If i submit my application at the end of 3rd year, my overall GPA will be lower then true final GPA after 4th year. Will they just look at my 3 years and take it as is? Or do they wait till midterm marks come out?

Thanks for all the help, im very confused :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Dental schools will accept you after 2nd year even. You could in theory apply now (or before the 2008 deadlines for Entering in 2009. This means you would be in Dental School after only taking 3 years of undergrad - yes this is possible. It sounds like you want to apply after 4th year. Now you have 2 options: American Dental Schools and Canadian Dental Schools. I am a Canadian University Student looking to apply to both - So I can help you here:

For American DSchools: Yes you should be submitting your application around this time for better chances of being accepted. American Schools have rolling admissions that start around May 30 (I think AADSAS opens May 15 of that year - so you can't start inputting info until then, but you can start thinking or doing a 'pre-trial' if you are so keen) and end Around December 30 (varies depending on school).

The Last Canadian DAT you can write for acceptance to Canadian schools as a student applying to enter in 2010, will be November 2009, and I think Dalhousie lets you write the February preceding (so February 2010 for that one school). You are lucky that many American Schools accept the Canadian DAT for admissions purposes. However, writing the November DAT will be considered VERY late for that application cycle. And due to the nature of the rolling admissions - your chances of acceptance for that year are low. I suggest you write the February DAT in 2009 and use this score to apply to both Canadian and American Schools.

The American DAT is offered any time of the year, but (I know this painfully as a Canadian Student) Canadian Schools that accept the American DAT will only let you write the American DAT if you are of American Citizenship, not Canadian.

I am applying to both Canadian and American Schools and am writing both American and Canadian DATs in my summer after 3rd year (entering 4th year). I am writing my American DAT in August (next month) and Canadian in November. The August DAT is considered late, but I only realised this a month ago - so I am hoping you won't fall for my same mistake with this advice I am giving you.

I recommend you write the American DAT (if you so chose to apply to American schools as early in the summer as possible).= only if you have to (which you don't). Heed my advice of writing the Canadian DAT in February 2009.

This is my one regret.

why do canadiana "write" the DAT and Americans "take" the DAT? Obviously I it just a language thing, however write sounds funny.

In Canada do you say "write" whenever you take a test?

Members don't see this ad :)
why do canadiana "write" the DAT and Americans "take" the DAT? Obviously I it just a language thing, however write sounds funny.

In Canada do you say "write" whenever you take a test?

In my research lab, the Indian guys wrote the GRE. Not literally...

still looking for clarification

lol clarify this part of my question first :p hahaha
"And a question about my grades. First year my GPA was really low and second year I achieved a very solid GPA. I expect to achieve similar grades 3rd and 4th year but my problem is... If i submit my application at the end of 3rd year, my overall GPA will be lower then true final GPA after 4th year. Will they just look at my 3 years and take it as is? Or do they wait till midterm marks come out?"

thanks!

lol clarify this part of my question first :p hahaha
"And a question about my grades. First year my GPA was really low and second year I achieved a very solid GPA. I expect to achieve similar grades 3rd and 4th year but my problem is... If i submit my application at the end of 3rd year, my overall GPA will be lower then true final GPA after 4th year. Will they just look at my 3 years and take it as is? Or do they wait till midterm marks come out?"

thanks!

Yesthis is true. For the most part, the year you are applying - the grades aren't counted. This is very true for American D schools b/c the application process is much earlier. Some schools in Canada which end up accepting you very late (like June/July) like Dalhousei, Manitoba, Alberta will want to see your first term 4th year marks as well. I've heard different stories about how they calculate this with your cumulative. I am not sure about the other schools - sorry. Try this forum: (it's for canadian predents) http://www.premed101.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

See you there!