Questions about the brain

livelife1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really know anything about the brain but I am extremely interested in learning about it. I was wondering if anyone knew any good books or papers or whatever on the brain?

Members don't see this ad.

One book I found pretty fascinating in the field of clinical Neurology is The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, but it could be kind of confusing if you do not know much about the brain.

I'm in the middle of reading Phantoms of the Brain, by V. S. Ramachandran. The author does a good job of making sure the "lay" people understand what's going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hit up your local library and you'll definitely find some good ones.. And also, Youtube could actually show you a lot too, just saying.

There's a book I've been reading called My Month of Madness and it's a true story written by a young journalist who gets a disease in which her body attacks her brain. It's not only fascinating but also an easy read for anyone who has no prior knowledge of the brain. Check it out!

"The Human Brain Book" by Rita Carter.

Its essentially more of a picture book but I got it when I was younger. Its great if you know little on the subject - good general information.

Hello,

I just got "The Human Brain Book" a few days ago and it seems like a real good one. Do you mean that it's not very specific or it doesn't give all the information on anatomy? It comes with a DVD but I'm not sure what's on it because I haven't taken it out yet. Imagine I will keep it but I wanted to get some opinion on it first so I came on here. To tell you the truth I'm not really understanding it. This has more to do with the views. This however, is totally me. The book is put together great and there's a lot to be gained. It's just the way I look at the pictures that I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at. I did read really the same book "The Brain Book" by the same author/publisher at a library some time ago as suggested above.

Last edited:
Khan Academy has a whole section dedicated to the nervous system. It's under Health and Medicine tab then "Nervous system introduction". Enjoy!