Questions about the DO Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

San_Juan_Sun

Professor of Life
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never really gotten a decent answer to this question, and maybe that's my fault. I know that the DO match is before the MD (a month or so?). If you are applying in both matches, and match DO, you have to go DO. Am I okay so far?

DO can then match into a traditional internship, or a specialty track residency, or whatever. Here's where I get a little fuzzy. If you wanted to match into a DO general surgery program (this is an example BTW) do you have to first apply to a traditional internship? And then the next year, apply for a PGY-2 position? In other words, do you have to, in effect, apply in two matches?

In any case, if I've got something wrong, please correct me. And if you have answers to the questions I have, I thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

San_Juan_Sun,
Doing the rotating internship depends on which state you are planning to practice medicine in. In Pennsylvania, for example, which is where I plan to practice, the rotating internship is required in the first year. Some hospitals may keep you on for your PGY-2 and PGY-3, or you can apply to other programs. These programs will accept your internship as your PGY-1, you won't have to start all over again.

As for your general surgery example, if you do an MD residency or a DO residency in one of those states that don't require the rotating internship in the first year (I think there are only a handful of states that require it), you won't have to match twice.

Hope that was helpful. That's how I understand the whole process, so anybody please correct me if I am wrong!

So just to clarify a bit:

If I wanted to do a surgical residency (this is an example BTW) in a state that doesn't need the AOA approved internship, you just match as a PGY1, do an internship there, and then start the surgical residency after your internship at the same progarm?

If I were in one of the 5 states that wants the internship, you match for the internship, and then you stay on possibly, or match again at a different program as a PGY2?

Am I understanding you? It makes sense to me, I just want to make sure I get it right. Thanks for your response.

Yep, you understood me right. That's as much of the process as I understand. Maybe someone else can add a little more :D