Questions about the field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McPoyle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been wandering into this forum for a while, and your posts have gotten me really interested in anesthesia. I shadowed an anesthesiologist for part of my paramedic school a number of years ago and found the experience to be... awesome but really hadn't thought much of it since I began working towards med school-until I wandered in here.

Anyways, after lurking for a while I have a couple broad questions I wondered if ya'll would mind answering:

1) Where do you see the field progressing to in the future, what are the directions you see anesthesia taking?

2.) As far as fellowships, I hear a lot about pain and CT(?) but I also see occasionally that CCM is a possibility. How does this get integrated professionally? Are there groups that will split time between ICU and OR? How does this generally work out? Does this mainly occur in academia?

3.) This kinda goes with my first question. By observing the posts, it appears that compensation is pretty good for the field currently, how long do you see this this persisting, or do you see this changing in the near future?

4.) For any DO's, is this field pretty open? I plan applying jointly to allo/osteopathic programs this year, and am curious. I have heard that this can very from specialty to specialty.

I'm sure I will think of more, but I would appreciate your views very much on these questions.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Check the FAQs and/or do a search. These topics have been covered ad nauseum on this forum.

-copro