Questions about the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcfa002

UCSF SoP c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking the January PCAT. I read through the forums a little, but I'm a little lost still.

1)I'm assuming the best book to get is the KAPLAN 07-08 book? Is there another worth considering? I'll probably need the most help with Math because I took it the least recently

2)I'm planning on sending it to schools for the 09 application cycle(class starting '10). Do I send the scores to schools now, or next year when I apply? and do I send scores to Pharmcas? Do I have to send it to both, or does it depend on schools?

Members don't see this ad.

1) The KAPLAN 07-08 book has good review on biology, ok review on chemistry and terrible review on math. The information in the book is overall worth the investment, just know that you will need to review math on your own or with another source.

2) All scores are sent to Pharmcas. You need to register before you take the PCAT. Pharmcas will send all the information to the schools you choose.

I'm planning on taking the January PCAT. I read through the forums a little, but I'm a little lost still.

1)I'm assuming the best book to get is the KAPLAN 07-08 book? Is there another worth considering? I'll probably need the most help with Math because I took it the least recently

2)I'm planning on sending it to schools for the 09 application cycle(class starting '10). Do I send the scores to schools now, or next year when I apply? and do I send scores to Pharmcas? Do I have to send it to both, or does it depend on schools?

1) Kaplan is pretty good with the verbal part, and also for the biology (but its a bit too detail, just know the basics). another book you could use is the barron's, and also the pearson's practice test is helpful.

2) Since you have a lot of time before application is due, I would just take the test. After you know what you got , and then request it to be sent. If the schools use pharmcas then , all you have to do is send the pcat scores to pharmcas (its indicated on pharmcas for each school). And if they don't use pharmcas then you need to send the pcat score directly to the school.

I think the Kaplan book was great despite not having enough organic review. I also thought the verbal section in the Kaplan book was more difficult than what was on Oct PCAT. Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help. I think I'll go with Kaplan, and maybe just a general(not pcat specific) calculus help book. I was trying to figure out how to pay the pcat people the least when sending out my scores, but I guess I can't really get out of it because I'm not applying till next year...

edit: I looked on amazon for the kaplan book. I found an 08-09 and and an 07. Is one better than the other?

There is no point to studying.

I went in blind (well I flipped through a book but definitely not more than two hours total study) and scored a 99th overall. The PCAT is long but really, really, simple. I honestly think the majority of takers haven't even been to college.

Disclaimer-(I barely passed the essay section 3/5 but it isn't rolled into your grade I didn't even know there was an essay)

Last edited:
There is no point to studying.

I went in blind (well I flipped through a book but definitely not more than two hours total study) and scored a 99th overall. The PCAT is long but really, really, simple. I honestly think the majority of takers haven't even been to college.

Disclaimer-(I barely passed the essay section 3/5 but it isn't rolled into your grade I didn't even know there was an essay)
Geeze thats amazing! I wish I had that ability, however from other testimonials I think I need to study for it.

I'm lost on what book to get. I saw the post about Dr. Collins self study guide, but $200 is alot of cash! It seems to be worth it, but still alot of money...

I say go ahead and studying. It depends on the individual person's capabilities and ability to retain information. Some people need refreshing (whether in college or not), others don't. I had a friend pass with a 91 and didn't even open a book. However, I have witnessed friends who have outstanding gpas but horrible PCATS when they didn't apply themselves.

I say study... if you find yourself already knowing the material then just move on... you get the gist...:)

I'm thinking about getting the kaplan book, the cliff tests, and some vocab review. Does that sound good, or should I add the baron's book?
I'll need the most review in math
I finished ochem over the summer, so I'll need some review of that. I've heard Kaplan doesn't have ochem. Will the cliff tests be enough review?

Last edited:
Kaplan is good for biology, general chemistry, and math. For organic chemistry, study off of examkrackers since it covers 80% more than what you'll really need for the test. For vocab, study from the GRE books since I haven't really found too many good PCAT books that covered the vocab section.

I actually used the DAT Destroyer for studying some of the math since I had it handy.