Questions about the University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynnep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone is familiar with University of Washington admissions, I'd appreciate your help in answering some of the questions below. I tried asking the school directly but each time I ask a question, I receive a response that they don't provide advising info to undergrads.

Some background: I graduated from an Ivy in 2002 with a BS and unfortunately, a low undergrad GPA. Since then, I've had a very successful career in the tech industry although I've never really enjoyed my career. For a variety of reasons, I think dentistry is a good fit, although I am trying to explore some other backup options in case I don't ever gain an acceptance.

1) I'm currently taking a class at Bellevue College and plan to take several more at BC since the tuition is affordable and they offer a variety of evening classes, which fit my schedule. Is BC considered a good place to take some of the pre-reqs, even though it's a community college?
2) Is UW non-trad student friendly?
3) Is UW somewhat forgiving of a low undergrad GPA if I show an upward trend now?

Does anyone have suggestions on where to volunteer? I work full time and am trying to find a non-profit dental/health clinic to volunteer at that has evening or weekend hours.

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone is familiar with University of Washington admissions, I'd appreciate your help in answering some of the questions below. I tried asking the school directly but each time I ask a question, I receive a response that they don't provide advising info to undergrads.

Some background: I graduated from an Ivy in 2002 with a BS and unfortunately, a low undergrad GPA. Since then, I've had a very successful career in the tech industry although I've never really enjoyed my career. For a variety of reasons, I think dentistry is a good fit, although I am trying to explore some other backup options in case I don't ever gain an acceptance.

1) I'm currently taking a class at Bellevue College and plan to take several more at BC since the tuition is affordable and they offer a variety of evening classes, which fit my schedule. Is BC considered a good place to take some of the pre-reqs, even though it's a community college?
2) Is UW non-trad student friendly?
3) Is UW somewhat forgiving of a low undergrad GPA if I show an upward trend now?

Does anyone have suggestions on where to volunteer? I work full time and am trying to find a non-profit dental/health clinic to volunteer at that has evening or weekend hours.

Here is what I do know...

UW is very friendly toward non-traditional students. The UW Admissions committee does a really good job of creating a mix of students. We have everyone from ages 21-late 30's in our class, with some having 9 years military service and others that have spent time in the tech industry. Personally, I spent 2 years in biotech research.

UW can be forgiving of undergrad GPA if you show great stats in "makeup" classes/pre-reqs. I would suggest though, if you live in the area, to try to take one or two classes at UW as a non-matriculated student in the sciences to show the admissions committee that you can handle "university level" science courses.

For volunteering, I would look into Medical Teams International. They have a mobile dental clinic that might have weekend/evening hours, but I'm not sure on that.

Here is a thread that I've saved regarding volunteer/shadowing opportunities around Seattle: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=579320&highlight=shadow

I'm a non-trad myself and just started taking chem at Bellevue as well. It's nearly impossible to get into the lower division science courses at UW as a non-matriculated student. However, it might be a good idea to take a couple courses over the summer at UW since those don't tend to fill up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking Bio 241 at BC as a prerequisite for MWU and the professor, Dr. Ellinger is amazing so far.

I would have applied to UW but I am a non-resident. I moved here about 9 months ago.

I hear their interviews have pretty tough ethical questions.

Here is a thread that I've saved regarding volunteer/shadowing opportunities around Seattle: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=579320&highlight=shadow

I'm a non-trad myself and just started taking chem at Bellevue as well. It's nearly impossible to get into the lower division science courses at UW as a non-matriculated student. However, it might be a good idea to take a couple courses over the summer at UW since those don't tend to fill up.

Haha, you don't happen to be at the BC library atm are you? Not to creep you out. It was just funny to see 3 posts about BC in 1 sitting.

Haha, you don't happen to be at the BC library atm are you? Not to creep you out. It was just funny to see 3 posts about BC in 1 sitting.

Nope....relaxing at home.

Being a non-trad student applying to the UW SOD is either an advantage or a disadvantage. If you look at the pool of applicants who got accepted this year as well as previous years, you will see a wide range of type of students.

Taking classes at a CC is fine as long as you have at least a BS degree. There could even be exception to that, but normally, they expect you to have a 4 year degree from a university. BC is a great school for non-trad students wanting to complete some pre-reqs. I even tutor at the academic center there. However, there will be classes that you will not be able to take at the BC such as biochemistry.

As for volunteering, I would suggest the Union Gospel Mission Dental Clinic.

Good luck with your application. PM me if you want more information.

Being a non-trad student applying to the UW SOD is either an advantage or a disadvantage. If you look at the pool of applicants who got accepted this year as well as previous years, you will see a wide range of type of students.

Taking classes at a CC is fine as long as you have at least a BS degree. There could even be exception to that, but normally, they expect you to have a 4 year degree from a university. BC is a great school for non-trad students wanting to complete some pre-reqs. I even tutor at the academic center there. However, there will be classes that you will not be able to take at the BC such as biochemistry.

As for volunteering, I would suggest the Union Gospel Mission Dental Clinic.

Good luck with your application. PM me if you want more information.
EVERYONE volunteers at the Union Gospel Mission. It won't make you stand out. Also, there are often so many pre-dents there that you won't get as much experience as you would at other clinics. Email Dan. He's the volunteer coordinator at UW's D.D.S. club. He has a list of contacts.