Questions about the whole process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qubes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a canadian who's contemplating the possibility of med down under and a LOAD of questions. I've been considering this aspect as I've

1) I meet the cutoffs for GPA(3.3) and MCAT(35T), will this put me in a good position assuming interviews go well(particularly USyd)?

2) There's a lotta talk about residency positions getting tougher to get into for international students. How bad is it really, are we talking nigh impossible or still possible if you have solid evaluations from your 3rd and 4th year rotations? Please no drama over this question if anyone wants to answer. I'm thinking in my head that there must be one year out of the 4 where it is optimal to apply for PR status so that I get it "just in time" for residency matches although this could be wishful thinking on my part.

3) Will there be enough time to learn to surf? I heard that australia is a great place for people to learn to surf and I figure if there's anytime to do it, it's during medschool as a stress relief :D

Would greatly appreciate any input from Canadian students who are there now. Thanks to all who respond! Oh and please, no drama in this thread, I really don't like it when people start making personal attacks when everyone is just trying to be friendly. You're all wonderful people:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say anything about #2 or #3 because I'm not there yet, but in response to #1 - yes you have a very good chance!!! Definitely apply!

In Regards to Residency positions, are you talking about Canada or Australia?

I'm not sure if you realise this, but after graduating, you are required to do an Internship year in Australia if you want to stay. This is not a "residency" in the North American sense as you are not training to be in a specific program.

Most other programs (with the exception of Internal med, Psychiatry, Pathology and a few others) require you do then do an additional year as a "resident" or RMO, where you are again just doing general training, before you actually apply for a speciality.

I think like in any other country the more competitive you make yourself the easier the time you will have. This means good LORs and CVs, and even more so if you are an international student.

No one can accurately predict what will happen in the next 4-5 years. What we can say however is that it will be more competitive then it is now, and thus you will have to be of a better calibre to get competitive spots. If you know this and prepare for it, you will likely be ok.

As for PR, that varies from school to school. If you get one you will have a much easier time getting an internship - after that it shouldn't matter as most internationals will be able to get PRs after their internship year (provided the rules don't change).