Questions about UK schools 5 year programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naomij770

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a Canadian mature student that has been out of uni for the past 3 years (I'm 23, I have 1.5 years worth of Canadian uni credits) and would like to go straight to med school in the 5 year UK programs and eventually reside there.

I'm wondering what schools do not require AP or IB courses from high school, because the high school I went to did not offer these programs. So far I have Imperial, Kings, and St. George's all in London.

I've also heard that you can only apply to 4 UK schools a year, is that true?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm a Canadian mature student that has been out of uni for the past 3 years (I'm 23, I have 1.5 years worth of Canadian uni credits) and would like to go straight to med school in the 5 year UK programs and eventually reside there.

I'm wondering what schools do not require AP or IB courses from high school, because the high school I went to did not offer these programs. So far I have Imperial, Kings, and St. George's all in London.

I've also heard that you can only apply to 4 UK schools a year, is that true?

Thanks.

You can apply to 4 medical schools in the UK a year and you can have a 5th non medical option. I know that St Andrews is open to non-AP/IB, Newcastle is, Birmingham and Nottingham. Barts, Liverpool, Leicester, UEA are probably ok too.

Oxbridge don't require AP or IB but prefer it, so unless you had a 96%+ average in high school don't bother wasting a spot applying there.

This is definitely something you need to do research on your own. You would need to first write the UKCAT. And apply to universities based on your strengths. Most universities care more about some things than others. Without a 90%+ average in high school and 90%+ in biology and chemistry, I wouldn't consider applying at all.

Go to this website. There are lots of helpful articles and a forum to help answer your questions. There are more people who know about the UK on that forum.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195

Thanks for your fast reply. Would unis look down on me if I went back and upgraded my high school marks? I have a mid 80 average overall with mid 80s in the sciences. I have one poor mark, a fail in calculus but I can retake that if I need it to apply.

Thanks for your fast reply. Would unis look down on me if I went back and upgraded my high school marks? I have a mid 80 average overall with mid 80s in the sciences. I have one poor mark, a fail in calculus but I can retake that if I need it to apply.

I can't say they won't discriminate against your marks if you upgraded them. Did you do high school in Alberta? I've heard that Alberta's mid 80s would be a mid 90s in the rest of Canada? Is that true?

If not, I wouldn't recommend you apply simply because you sort of have red flags which are the fact that you didn't finish university. I don't know if UK schools know about Alberta's tough marking either.

How did you do in university and why did you drop out after 1.5 years?

Do you have extra-curriculars?