Questions about VA Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksim5

Reaction score
Hi all! I am applying for internship this fall and had a few questions. I am most interested in a VA internship, so most of my questions are specifically related to VA sites.

1. I see a lot of the program brochures mention diversity and encourage disclosing any minority statuses in the cover letter (i.e., race or sexual orientation), but I am curious if this is more so due to the recent focus on racial inequities and not actually desired by TDs? Can this ever hinder applicants (e.g., disclosing sexual orientation), particularly in the VA setting?

2. Do sites that do not ask for any supplemental materials (e.g., sample reports or conceptualizations) for the application request them after interviews and before ranking candidates? Or after matching and before starting internship?

3. What can you expect after matching at a VA? I know about the drug testing and background check, but any other steps? Do you have to complete a physical like you do if you were to enlist and do a military internship? Do they want any pieces of academic work from before matching or to start reading things prior to beginning, etc.?

4. Is there a way to find out more about specific VA sites now that interviews are likely to remain virtual so you will not see the site ahead of ranking? I'm guessing this is where you rely on meeting with current interns?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. I see a lot of the program brochures mention diversity and encourage disclosing any minority statuses in the cover letter (i.e., race or sexual orientation), but I am curious if this is more so due to the recent focus on racial inequities and not actually desired by TDs?
TDs (and other training staff) are free to write their brochures how they choose so if it seems like a major point of emphasis, then it likely is (e.g., diversity didactics/journal club). And you can read between the lines for things like preferred pronouns in staff bios to get a general sense of culture.
2. Do sites that do not ask for any supplemental materials (e.g., sample reports or conceptualizations) for the application request them after interviews and before ranking candidates? Or after matching and before starting internship?
I doubt it. Given the emphasis on standardized processes in VA, each intern will likely be judged based on whatever standards are being applied to everybody (think massive Excel spreadsheets with every criteria ranked).
3. What can you expect after matching at a VA? I know about the drug testing and background check, but any other steps? Do you have to complete a physical like you do if you were to enlist and do a military internship?
Just a very basic physical and possible blood work to check vaccination levels. And nothing else beyond maybe answering some emails and showing up to new employee orientation.

Reactions: 3 users
summerbabe already provided lots of great information. I'll see if there's anything I can add from my perspective and experiences.

1. It probably depends; some programs will have strongly valued and emphasized diversity for a long time while others may have placed increased emphasis on it due to recent events and discussions. I can't think of a situation in which it would hinder an application. If there are areas you or supervisors want to address RE: how a particular trainee may be received by VA patients, that's something that can be (and has been) discussed in supervision.

2. Unlikely with respect to ranking decisions. Supervisors or the TD may want to see a sample report, or have you go through mock assessment/therapy exercises, to give a feel for your skill and experience level, as this isn't always evident via application materials alone.

3. As summerbabe mentioned, you'll do a basic physical that includes bloodwork. There are some forms your DCT will complete to verify that you are physically capable of performing duties. I don't remember if you still need to do a TB test. And there are a few online trainings you'll complete (e.g., HIPAA, information security, general mission of VA) before arriving on-site so that your TD can get you in the system and your computer access setup. You'll also likely go through a portion of new employee orientation, as well as whatever orientation your TD has designed. Supervisors may give some readings for their rotation, which may occur before you arrive on-site, as you're going through orientation, or once you actually start the rotation.

4. I don't know many ways of doing this other than, as you've said, talking with current and/or past interns and just informally visiting the site yourself. Some programs may also offer voluntary on-site open houses, although that can vary with the state of COVID and other factors.

Hi all! I am applying for internship this fall and had a few questions. I am most interested in a VA internship, so most of my questions are specifically related to VA sites.

1. I see a lot of the program brochures mention diversity and encourage disclosing any minority statuses in the cover letter (i.e., race or sexual orientation), but I am curious if this is more so due to the recent focus on racial inequities and not actually desired by TDs? Can this ever hinder applicants (e.g., disclosing sexual orientation), particularly in the VA setting?

3. What can you expect after matching at a VA? I know about the drug testing and background check, but any other steps? Do you have to complete a physical like you do if you were to enlist and do a military internship? Do they want any pieces of academic work from before matching or to start reading things prior to beginning, etc.?

4. Is there a way to find out more about specific VA sites now that interviews are likely to remain virtual so you will not see the site ahead of ranking? I'm guessing this is where you rely on meeting with current interns?

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses! That was very helpful.

One important point r.e. question 3 that I don't think was addressed looking at the other responses: The VA (I believe) recently implemented a policy that essentially results in interns and other temporary trainees not being eligible to receive dental or vision benefits. If you can forgo these for a year, then it's not a big deal... but it's kinda crappy.

Hopefully there will be some advocacy/pressure to change that policy. Interns are already SUPER underpaid relative to their skillsets, and this is even worse.

• Wow
One important point r.e. question 3 that I don't think was addressed looking at the other responses: The VA (I believe) recently implemented a policy that essentially results in interns and other temporary trainees not being eligible to receive dental or vision benefits. If you can forgo these for a year, then it's not a big deal... but it's kinda crappy.

Hopefully there will be some advocacy/pressure to change that policy. Interns are already SUPER underpaid relative to their skillsets, and this is even worse.
I am currently completing my intern at a VA and we are eligible to receive dental and vision benefits. I currently have both. Maybe it depends on which VA you are at?

I am currently completing my intern at a VA and we are eligible to receive dental and vision benefits. I currently have both. Maybe it depends on which VA you are at?
It was a new policy this year, so it will affect the new batch of interns this year

Going to be tough based on market analysis. If numbers are stable, VA internships salaries were above the mean when I was applying. And, when they are basing it against other internships, many where interns are generally a net loss in the budget, it's hard to justify a sizable increase in spending there. Certainly wish it were different, but in the current climate, interns are a pretty big drag on resources, both time and money at many sites.

Going to be tough based on market analysis. If numbers are stable, VA internships salaries were above the mean when I was applying. And, when they are basing it against other internships, many where interns are generally a net loss in the budget, it's hard to justify a sizable increase in spending there. Certainly wish it were different, but in the current climate, interns are a pretty big drag on resources, both time and money at many sites.
Right, that makes sense economically given the costs of training carried by the site.

At least anecdotally, the sites I was looking at this past cycle generally had VAs paying interns 5-10k less than non-VA AMCs in the same city. The other sites offered access to health, dental, and vision so it was sort of a no-brainer on an economic basis.

Right, that makes sense economically given the costs of training carried by the site.

At least anecdotally, the sites I was looking at this past cycle generally had VAs paying interns 5-10k less than non-VA AMCs in the same city. The other sites offered access to health, dental, and vision so it was sort of a no-brainer on an economic basis.

I was curious, checked my internship city, out of the 5, VA was in the middle of the pack, but all within 6k of one another. Definitely some regional variability. Still, until we make it easier to bill for intern services, going to be hard to advocate to the bean counters that employees who lose the organization money, need more money.

It was a new policy this year, so it will affect the new batch of interns this year

WHAT? I can't believe that! I would have been royally screwed without dental or vision during my internship.

I'm sure it's something OAA would push to reverse, but it may have to wait until the current economic climate improves. Fortunately for VA, they don't really have to justify paying for trainees (theoretically), as training is one of their core missions. But that doesn't necessarily make it much easier for local and national training leadership to secure funding and other support.