Questions About WesternU's Podiatric Medicine Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i've heard students talk about western guaranteeing them a residency spot. with the shortage expected, how is that possible????

thanks

Happy New Year! First, I would like to apologize for not responding to your question. This one slipped by me and a lack of a response was certainly not intentional. I am now trying to catch up on all my StudentDoctor replies after our campus was closed for the holidays for two weeks.

PoddyMan explained our situation well (Thanks PoddyMan!). WesternU is taking a proactive approach to the residency situation. As we establish externships, we are also creating residency programs. From the beginning, it has been our goal to improve the number of available residencies. While students can apply anywhere for a residency spot, it is our ultimate goal to make sure there is at least one available residency slot for each graduate. While we cannot guarantee this, we are doing everything in our power to make it happen. Given this, it would not reduce the available residency slots for students graduating from other programs. At this time, we are close to halfway toward our goal for the Class of 2013.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. And again, sorry for the delay in responding!

Marie

Hello Marie,

You said a grade of a ''C" is required for all prerequisite courses. I recieved a C- in General Chemistry and a C+ in the lab, my overall GPA is around a 3.6 and my science GPA is around 3.3. Do I need to retake Chem II, or will a C- suffice?

Hi FuturePod88!
Sorry for the delay in responding. Our campus was on winter break until today. Yes, we do require a grade of "C" or better for all prerequisite courses so unfortunately, you would have to retake the lecture course you received a grade of "C-" You can, however, list this in progress when you apply as long as you will complete it by the end of the spring semester before you matriculate.

Just let me know if you have anymore questions.

Best wishes,
Marie

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Marie, at WesternU's podiatry school, does the admissions committee calculate gpa's using plus/minus system?

Good Morning!

AACPMAS actually does the GPA calcuations. Yes, they do factor in plus/minus grades. They will calculate an overall GPA which would include undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and graduate coursework. They will also calcuate a science GPA (Biology, Gen Chem, O-Chem, Physics, Math & Statistics and Other Sciences) and a Non-Science GPA (English and Social/Behavioral Science).

Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes,
Marie

Temple (Mr. Martin) told me that they are accepting 10-15 fewer students this year because of the predicted residency shortage

FYI, turns out that Temple has 110 students this year, not 85-90...

FYI, turns out that Temple has 110 students this year, not 85-90...

Whoa, whoa whoa, slow down here. Are you saying that a school would lie to students and act in its own interests???? My brain is scrambled eggs now.

Whoa, whoa whoa, slow down here. Are you saying that a school would lie to students and act in its own interests???? My brain is scrambled eggs now.

No, schools do not lie to students. Students tend to hear what they want and not what is told to them in this regard. The administration says "we are working hard to assure that all students will get a residency when they graduate and every student SHOULD have no trouble getting good training". The students hear "all our students will get residencies". Or students are told that their school has a 98% placement rate with the CASPR match, and they immediately assume that they will be in that 98%.

Also keep in mind that every schools expects about a 20% attrition rate based on past history and experience. Realize that there a tremendous numbers of variables when discussing this residency shortage situation. What that means is that there is no way to predict what the residency situation will be for the graduating class of 2014.

The CPME, the APMA and COTH are working very hard to address the current residency situation, but it is not as simple as "just create more residencies!".

kidsfeet,

1. Nobody said anything about the residency shortage. And you haven't gone through the application process recently enough to comment on what certain schools do and don't tell applicants.

2. I know you're new, but hijacking threads is generally considered a party foul

Back to topics relating to Western...

kidsfeet,

1. Nobody said anything about the residency shortage. And you haven't gone through the application process recently enough to comment on what certain schools do and don't tell applicants.

2. I know you're new, but hijacking threads is generally considered a party foul

Back to topics relating to Western...

dtrack22,

This topic of residency shortages and what schools tell their students about residency placement is not new. This was the case 15 years ago when I started at TUSPM (PCPM at the time).

I directly quoted the text I was referring to in the above post, so I hate to be argumentative, but that topic WAS approached in this thread, so whether you think so or not, I wasn't hijacking, merely replying to a post, once again, in this thread.

Whether I'm new or not has no bearing on the matter. Read before you criticize. It will help you in the long term, sir.

If you were responding to katrina in the post where you quoted air bud then you should learn how to use the "quote" function in these forums...

Quoting someone/explaining yourself after-the-fact sure does make you look smarter huh?

As for the quote you responded to, you must have some inside info on how many residency positions Western has opened up and which ones/how many are going to be exclusive to Western students...

How bout you let the folks at Western run their own thread?

If you were responding to katrina in the post where you quoted air bud then you should learn how to use the "quote" function in these forums...

Quoting someone/explaining yourself after-the-fact sure does make you look smarter huh?

As for the quote you responded to, you must have some inside info on how many residency positions Western has opened up and which ones/how many are going to be exclusive to Western students...

How bout you let the folks at Western run their own thread?

Wow buddy.

Learn some respect for some of the people that might be able to help you down the road. Do you know me? I don't know you. I have experience in this realm that you can't imagine, so how about you learn to listen?

I'm fully aware of how to use the quote function, but wasn't expected to be blasted by a student for rendering an opinion on something previously brought up in this thread.

Seriously, you misquoted yourself by saying that no one had mentioned the residency shortage, and I called you out on it. Sounds like you got busted in a misquote and are back tracking.

Please, learn to respect yourself and others. I'm only trying to help and your outburst is not helpful. It only serves to inflame. Also, you must realize that with an attitude like you are displaying in this thread, your life in residency will be an unhappy one, and it will only get worse in Private Practice when you are not so anonymous.

kidsfeet still holding the thread hostage...Western, anyone?

Oh and if you still want to comment on residency issues, please go to the thread where that discussion was MOVED. Like I said, I know you're new, but your self proclaimed experience should help you navigate these forums. No need for me to post the link.

kidsfeet still holding the thread hostage...Western, anyone?

Oh and if you still want to comment on residency issues, please go to the thread where that discussion was MOVED. Like I said, I know you're new, but your self proclaimed experience should help you navigate these forums. No need for me to post the link.

Can't find the thread. Help please.

Last edited:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9066216#post9066216

Interesting thread that dove-tailed a little...good read nonetheless. In the future, when a poster says he moved a post/discussion, click on his/her "name" go to find more posts by this author and search posts around the time of the one in question. Should lead you right to whatever you are looking for. And you don't detract from the current thread (why poddy moved his post in the first place).

what is the minimum MCAT score for western?

I am going to ask the same question in this thread as I did in the Scholl thread, because I am real interested in both programs and would like to get more information.

what does the administrative department think of time off from science/academia?

I graduated in december of 2008 with a degree in molec, cell, and dev bio with a minor in business.

I have 2.5 years of undergrad research experience. rather extensive, and got a hhmi grant or two, and a paper published.

my gpa was 3.1 cumulative. I am not sure exactly how to calculate my science gpa, but my "major" gpa which is all of the Biology classes I took (I have taken quite a bit) is 3.4.

since graduation, i have had to work in the family business which is a computer one due to financial issues going on with my family. i have been doing web application programming. While doing this, I have been taking continuing education courses at night in Computer science and have picked up HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, mySQL, and C++.

I originally wanted to be a research scientist but after getting the degree realized it was not for me (in all honestly I am a people person and even though I love science did not want to spend the rest of my life with mice/rats) and was a little confused as to what I wanted to due with my life (plus had a lot of trouble finding employment due to the recession) when I finished undergrad after coming to this conclusion (have been "treading water" so to speak in the family business).

For the past 3 months I have been shadowing a podiatrist and have absolutely loved it. Loved the human interaction, loved the science, and loved the combination of technical and business. I am currently studying for the MCATs.

If I can get a good MCAT score (I am studying my butt off every day so lets say I get > 25), will I have a chance to get into the school even though I have taken 2 years off from science / academic research? I have been volunteering at a hospital too by the way. I really want to do podiatry after shadowing and honestly, did not even know about the profession until around half a year ago.

So essentially, what does the admission committee here (or anywhere I suppose) think of time away from hard science classes ? I am sure it is not preferred but is it a huge deterrent?

I am going to ask the same question in this thread as I did in the Scholl thread, because I am real interested in both programs and would like to get more information.

what does the administrative department think of time off from science/academia?

I graduated in december of 2008 with a degree in molec, cell, and dev bio with a minor in business.

I have 2.5 years of undergrad research experience. rather extensive, and got a hhmi grant or two, and a paper published.

my gpa was 3.1 cumulative. I am not sure exactly how to calculate my science gpa, but my "major" gpa which is all of the Biology classes I took (I have taken quite a bit) is 3.4.

since graduation, i have had to work in the family business which is a computer one due to financial issues going on with my family. i have been doing web application programming. While doing this, I have been taking continuing education courses at night in Computer science and have picked up HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, mySQL, and C++.

I originally wanted to be a research scientist but after getting the degree realized it was not for me (in all honestly I am a people person and even though I love science did not want to spend the rest of my life with mice/rats) and was a little confused as to what I wanted to due with my life (plus had a lot of trouble finding employment due to the recession) when I finished undergrad after coming to this conclusion (have been "treading water" so to speak in the family business).

For the past 3 months I have been shadowing a podiatrist and have absolutely loved it. Loved the human interaction, loved the science, and loved the combination of technical and business. I am currently studying for the MCATs.

If I can get a good MCAT score (I am studying my butt off every day so lets say I get > 25), will I have a chance to get into the school even though I have taken 2 years off from science / academic research? I have been volunteering at a hospital too by the way. I really want to do podiatry after shadowing and honestly, did not even know about the profession until around half a year ago.

So essentially, what does the admission committee here (or anywhere I suppose) think of time away from hard science classes ? I am sure it is not preferred but is it a huge deterrent?

I think time off should almost be a requirement. It gives you perspective. At my school, I think there is a clear difference in the mindset of those right out of undergrad and those who are a few years out. I use my failures in my years away from school as motivation. My nightmares are me back in my old job with that feeling of desperation.