Questions for acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dr. mad dad

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've applied to:
Mercer University- been told that I have been waitlisted for an interview
University Alabama Birmingham- no correspondence yet
Augusta Medical- no correspondence yet
Florida State- no correspondence yet
University of South Carolina- no correspondence yet
Is this common? The process is nerve racking and not easy to be patient for. I will graduate this May with a 3.8 GPA from the honors program at my college but I had a 495 MCAT. Should I plan on a GAP year and re-apply while preparing for another MCAT test?
 
With a 495 MCAT, you should not have been applying, period.

The median MCAT score for MD acceptees is 511.
Are you a native of Georgia? If not you had no business applying to Mercer.

You also had no business applying to those State schools if you are not a resident of those States.

Take a gap year , retake the MCAT, and also have some DO schools on your list as well
 
I agree a 495 application was most likely wasted money and time. Get that MCAT up and apply DO and maybe MD if it's high enough.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, i have seen plenty of ppl get in with that MCAT. My MCAT was low as well. However, you should consider to retake it. Others are right, it's a risk you took and it has not paid off yet, I hope it does. Your GPA is stellar so i know you can score much higher. Take your time and study for it again if things don't work out. Score consistently above a 505
 
OP, i have seen plenty of ppl get in with that MCAT. My MCAT was low as well. However, you should consider to retake it. Others are right, it's a risk you took and it has not paid off yet, I hope it does. Your GPA is stellar so i know you can score much higher. Take your time and study for it again if things don't work out. Score consistently above a 505
Just curious, what schools did they get into?